Audio Physic Virgo I (or Virgo II): still considered a very good or great speaker?

Audiogon offers a large variety of USED speaker of varying ages and design. I am curious if speakers like the above are still considered viable in terms of audiophile sound quality. I ask because any purchase of so-called "vintage" speakers  pose a risk in terms of performance and sound quality, especially against newer technology speakers

I have heard the Virgo I about 15 years ago and liked it very much, and every time a pair come up on AG or e-bay,  I am tempted to buy them, even a  VG pair especially considering the large body of positive reviews and testimonials.  However,  I always nixed the urge to buy them new because I thought the original  retail price was overinflated which subsequently pushed the RESALE price up.  I have seen decent pairs for pairs for sale for $1500-1800; however, my intuition tells me that they are worth no more than $1100 even in near mint condition. 

I guess I am basically asking....is it really worth it to buy used speakers approx.15 years old, no matter how much they have been praised .,or pursue newer speakers and speaker technology  

Thanks, S.J 

sunnyjim
Nice summary, prof.

You and I are of the same mind on the Joachim Gerhard magic.  I think his AP designs remain at least as good as most of what's come down the pike since.  At the normal $1500 asking price, the Virgos are an obvious answer for anyone with high-end taste that will not or can not spend today's prices.

As for me, I love the imaging and overall sound.  They also still look great.  Only reservation is that they can sound a bit hot or difficult to live with in 1) certain rooms or 2) paired with some ancillaries.

Also want to mention to its little brother, the AP Tempo, as possessing incredible sound at an even lower price.
I had a pair of Virgos in my room years ago for an audio club meeting.  While the bass was a little problematical in my room (purely a room interaction that made it a little too warm), they did have that magic the others above are talking about. As far as pricing, I'd look at it this way--what could you get new for the $1500 price of the Virgos?  I'd dare say that they'd be an absolute bargain at that price, if in good condition.

Thank you to all who have responded so far. Your comments and insights have been very helpful.  I want to offer special thanks to member "Prof" for an excellent review of the early Virgo models, including the Libra.

To rcprince, your comment makes  good sense. Unfortunately, the almost mint pair of the Virgo 2's I mentioned are in a tech shop in upstate New York, and I live in Los Angeles. 

The seller prefers a local sale because he does NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL CARTONS. Bummer!  He seems honest, and would ship, if I could arrange packing and shipping and pay for both.

This gives me some pause and  anxiety about such a transaction, because of potential transit damage.  I don't trust FED_EX to packing or cartons. If he would be willing  to accept $1300 for the speakers including shipping.  I might go for it, but I get the impression he does not to put the effort into it. So far he is on a second 30 day ad cycle.    

Jim, the late Brooks Berdan was an Audio Physic dealer in the late 90’s-early 2000’s, and his wife Sheila runs the shop now. They get AP speakers back as trade-ins occasionally, so give her a call and ask her to let you know when they do. The shop (Brooks Berdan Ltd.) is in Monrovia, just east of Pasadena.
bdp24  I know of that shop. Thanks for the heads up regarding Audio physic trade-ins S.J.