Who is the WORST Audio Shop?

There seems to have been quite a bit written over the past several years regarding the myriad of reasons one can attribute to the demise of the brick and mortar audio shop. Rarely have I read however one of the most obvious reasons, which based on my experience, has got to be the simple fact that for the most part, they just didn't offer a high end listening experience. That, along with an elitist and careless attitude towards customer service, buried them as much as anything else. So here's my question. Who is the WORST audio shop/dealer you've ever encountered?
jayh31
nkonor, thanks for the kind words about the Kuzma rig you purchased. In case you didn't know I'm at Music Direct as analog expert / showroom manager and continuing the same kind of setups I did for you. Next time you're up this way stop by, I'd be happy to show you around including the sound rooms.

Brian Walsh
Brian,

You are welcome! Sweet that you're at Music Direct. I will make a point to stop in and say hello. What are your days / hours?

Norbert
My experience with Audio Concept of Dallas was completely different. I visited them in 2014 while visiting the area. I was greeted as usual as I entered. I told them that I was visiting the area and did not have any dealers near me and do not intend to purchase anything right away. The sales person was accommodating and demoed me songs on multiple systems including Naim, PMC, Rega systems. Very good experience overall. Hope you guys are talking about a different vendor and hope things have not changed at Audio Concept.
In general, I have not come across any shops that were not willing to demo, provided you tell them upfront, the reason for your visit.

My philosophy is simple.  I refuse to pay for bad service.

I'll simply walk away. 

People of color have experienced this for generations.  people "size you up" the minute you walk in the door, anywhere.

However, in this day of mega rich people, entertainers, sports stars, etc. it is rare that business treat people this way.  Still happens in the audio industry.  Not so much for clothing, watches, and autos.  They don't know who and what you are and aren't willing to lose out on a big sale anymore.  The Pretty Woman scenario rarely happens today.

But, for audio....well.... I was in Stockholm a few years back and when I travel I try to visit high end audio stores. 

I was wearing jeans and definitely wasn't from Sweden.  but, I'm older and carry myself pretty well.

well, the sales man looks me up and down and comes to a conclusion immediately.  completely ignores me.  I was interested in a all in one type unit for my girlfriend.  It was Rotel, I believe. But, they also sold higher end equipment and some Martin Logan equipment also. 

So, I tried to ask about the Rotel unit.  The salesman in a very condescending manner asked me, so, what equipment do you have?

I said my amps were Audio Research and Mark levinson and I have Martin Logan Monolith III speakers, with Audio Research pre-amp, dac, etc.

His manner and eyes changed immediately. 

don't get me wrong, he wasn't rude at all, just initially condescending and stand offish.

But, we got along fine after that exchange.

Same is true for high end watch dealers I've dealt with, and auto dealers.  I have found that it isn't their initial impression that matters, but how you respond to it.

Some people are just asses and my response is to walk away.  but, others, work within their comfort zone and rarely leave it unless you take them by the hand and show them how wrong or incorrect they can be.

enjoy

polk432...Buy those PB tix...if you win big, follow through on that threat, and I'll come work for you. ;)

"Hi there.  I see you're looking at (X) amp.  It's really nice, but (Z) amp here is better, and we sell it for less that anyone in This galaxy.  Care to hear it through those MB101's?  Sure...sit on down.  Care for a drink?"

It'd almost not be work...;)