Buying a power cord from France, import duty and taxes?

Hi,

I would like to buy a used power cord (that was originally made in USA) from someone in France.  He said he would mark "US goods returned" on the package, so I won't have to pay any import duty and taxes.  Is this true?  Thanks for your comments and/or sharing your experience on buying overseas.

respected_ent
Post removed 
Respected,

Yes France use the Shucko type which is used in most of Europe, this of course does not mean that its whats on the PC your buying.

Best of Luck

Peter
Your hassle potential will be reduced if the PC is shipped via French Post>USPS as opposed to FedEx or UPS although I've had no problems with DHL.
There shouldn't be any problem. I received a 75lb integrated amp just a few weeks ago from Italy, and everything went smoothly.
And if I go through Paypal, then I should be protected if anything goes wrong, right?
Assuming you use a credit card (CC), yes, the CC bank will protect you. PayPal themselves offer little to no help other than the ability to use a CC.

Yes, the ad shows 15 Amp IEC US AC Plug. Is that what's being used in France? I believe France uses 220-240 volt, so does that mean they use a different plug?

France uses Schuko male plugs for their 230 V requirements. Google it to see what it looks like.
It is important to make sure that the cord not only has a 15/20 A IEC female connector, but that it has US male plugs, and not the Schuko male plug.