phasel linear 400

back in the 70's the 400 and 700 were the cheapest for the most watts. they are known to fry speakers because they didn't work well under stress. I will never buy a refurbished one. I have McIntosh now!
128x128g_nakamoto
What's your point of this thread most of us are never going to buy one anyway.They had no speaker protection circuits and they sounded incredibly etched like nails on a chalkboard.
They were some of the most powerful solid state amps of the day mainly used for concerts and used in home systems with the guys using them having great hearing loss now.

I would take a old Threshold over anything carver ever made.

Kenny.
lots of older amps had bad reputations.  Counterpoint, Sumo, Carver, Inner Sound, Melos, Audio Research, etc.  I have repaired so many amps mostly because of the chassis design that could not remove the heat.  Some of the circuit boards are just plain cheap.  Some of them can be repaired with no worries, some, not so much.  After 20 years, you should have a tech look at your amp and check the caps.  Better caps are now available and going up a size if they can fit in, is also a good idea IMO.

Happy Listening. 
I purchased a 400 brand new and it drove our bands PA for many years under brutal conditions and sold it in working order. 

Back then there were only a few high powered solid state amplifiers available and most were available through pro audio. Gene Cerwinski (yep, Cerwin-Vega) was one of the pioneeres of solid state amplification production and developed a massive 18" bass driver to handle the then monumental 200 watts coming from his naked purpose built amplifier installed in the now legendary acoustic 360/361 electric bass amplifier. His A-1800, 3600 stand alone amplifiers, folded horn PA and box home speakers followed as well as providing theater reinforcement for the film "Earthquake" years before THX.