phasel linear 400

back in the 70's the 400 and 700 were the cheapest for the most watts. they are known to fry speakers because they didn't work well under stress. I will never buy a refurbished one. I have McIntosh now!
128x128g_nakamoto

Showing 2 responses by m-db

I purchased a 400 brand new and it drove our bands PA for many years under brutal conditions and sold it in working order. 

Back then there were only a few high powered solid state amplifiers available and most were available through pro audio. Gene Cerwinski (yep, Cerwin-Vega) was one of the pioneeres of solid state amplification production and developed a massive 18" bass driver to handle the then monumental 200 watts coming from his naked purpose built amplifier installed in the now legendary acoustic 360/361 electric bass amplifier. His A-1800, 3600 stand alone amplifiers, folded horn PA and box home speakers followed as well as providing theater reinforcement for the film "Earthquake" years before THX. 

Wolf, Dem daze the back line was loud for sure. Interesting about Massina's setup. Mid 60's Bass amplification didn't cut it for me. Using a Fender Reverb as a preamp feeding two Marantz 8Bs driving two JBL 4530 scoops (I think D140s) was a real pain in the butt setup but it carried well even outdoors. Lots of DIY on stage back then.

Compared to that rig the new 360/361 was like a holiday, for a minute anyway. As you say on any stage smaller than a half court I couldn't hear the acoustic without blasting the mix. I sold the 360 when the SVT came out and I regretted it every day. The SVT was boring but I could hear it in most situations. As coveted as they've become I don't miss it a bit. I played through the modern 360 with the 10" forward facing driver. It's the perfect solution very well made and even louder but who really needs a trunk anymore?