Would a Lamm ll2.1 deluxe slay a Parasound JC2?

Hi. 

I have been thinking of adding a tube preamp to my chain to get a little more body and feel to the music. 

I currently have a Parasound JC2 which is detailed and dynamic. Very good really. But I may have trade and cash opportunity for a Lamm ll2.1 deluxe. It would be going into a new Bryston Cubed power amp. 

I havent heard a Lamm. Would it be a much better piece? Worthy of trying to work a deal?

argon66

Not sure which ARC preamps are hybrids anymore, but I did own an SP-11 Mk 2 (hybrid) and was using a Vendetta phono stage with it (one of the best around, and a reason I respect John Curl's designs so much).  I decided to replace the SP--11 with a line stage since I wasn't using its phono stage, and was all set to buy an LS2 hybrid line stage until my dealer let me compare it to a Jadis JPL.  The ARC hybrid, and my SP-11, had a much drier solid state sound, almost bleached in comparison; the Jadis was as liquid as you could imagine, and I bought it on the spot, even though I doubt it was as neutral as the ARC line stage.  The newer ARC preamps I have heard are really quite good, not nearly as dry as the old hybrids, but are still probably more neutral, not as fleshed out in the mids, as the others I've mentioned.  Can't comment on CJ, haven't heard any of them.  I liked the Lamm better than the ARCs I've heard, it is a little more fleshed out in the mids to my ear, and while it was a little fatter in the bass, that wasn't unpleasant and gave it the impression of having a bit of bass weight.

I had a chance to audition some very large Volent speakers a number of years ago; they were really nice speakers, but a bit too big (and expensive) for my room at the time. Only caveat I have about them with a Lamm is whether the Lamm's slight bass fullness might be too much of a good thing with the Volents, which I recall went pretty low in the bass. How do they sound in that area with the JC2?

They sound very good with the JC2. I dont think they go super low, but probably get down to 38 or so. No slouch. Bass it very tight and punchy. 

The Volents are very detailed with very good extension. They have dual ribbon tweeters. Image like crazy. I would say they are on the cool side however. So with the JC2, Bryston Cubed and Volents, im thinking my chain could use some midrange boost with a good tube pre. Especially for digital. 

My digital is through a Chord Dac and vinyl is from a VPI Prime and Zesto. 

I believe that your upgrade with the Lamm will probably surprise the hell out of you and you won't look back, plus the  lamm is tube rectified which I seem to be drawn to, by the way I love mine.
Post removed