Music Streamer Quality

This may be a dumb question but does the quality of a music streamer ultimately affect the sound? So here's some detail. I currently have a Sonos music streamer fed into a Simaudio Moon 300D dac. In the interest of having higher quality sound I could upgrade the dac or I could buy a dac with streaming capability such as the Simaudio 280D. I'm looking at a R2R ladder dac but would have the same Sonos feeding it. Does that make more sense than something like the Moon device? I appreciate an comments.
128x128falconquest
Yes it matters and personally I think you should stay separate, doing so will allow you to upgrade in stages. A new dac now and then down the road replace the Sonos.There are several threads about the Auralic Aries Mini and Blue Sound Node2 both would be a nice upgrade to your Sonos. Do some reading there is a lot to absorb here!
That has been my issue jond, there is so much to absorb! I thought if I could combine both devices into one then I not only eliminate one device (and the related cables) but also have perhaps a little better synergy. Anyway, just trying to figure out which direction to go.
@falconquest 
In my opinion, so much of this is evolving before our eyes.
By using separate components, you get the best of both worlds- highest fidelity at the time, and the ability to upgrade in the future.
I give a +1 for Bluesound.
It has great wireless connectivity and also allows you to output to a separate DAC.
As far as DAC's go, I would try to keep the budget around $2K.
Like I said, the tech evolves so quickly that what is SOTA, may be eclipsed in a year or two.
My 2 fav's are the Ayre Codex and the Schiit Gungnir or Yggy.
Bob
+1 also for bluesound . Vault 2 w Ayre codex has, for the money, great sound and usability.