VPI Scout Set up

I think I want the VPI Scout. How easy/hard is it to set up and maintain? Suggested cartridge to match? I want good sound, dependability without a lot of hassles. New to the audio scene. Want to spend $3,500 or less on TT, cartridge and cables. Was considering the Prime but that looks intimidating to me to set up properly. Pairing with a MAC 6700 integrated amp and Audio Monitor Gold 300 speakers. Open to any and all suggestions. 
janunn
I would suggest the Soundsmith Zepher MI cart. This combo was very good when I had my Scout 1.1 and the Zepher is made for the Unipivot arm. I no longer have the Scout but I still have the cart.
Hard to make a judgement not knowing how much you know about this stuff.   I would rank it pretty easy if you've set up a cartridge/tonearm before.
Nothing against VPI, but if you’re not familiar with TT setup, I think you should go for a fixed-bearing arm as opposed to a unipivot. The VPI fans will undoubtedly disagree, but if you want something easy, get a Rega with a Rega cartridge. It’s very solid stuff and easily set up. Maybe an RP6 with an exact cartridge for about 2K. Do you need a phono stage?  Once you get used to the whole analog thing, you can always sell it and branch out into something more adventurous.  
Nothing against VPI, but if you’re not familiar with TT setup, I think you should go for a fixed-bearing arm as opposed to a unipivot....
If someone is unfamiliar with TT setup, this is where using a qualified and respected Dealer makes sense.  You will have an opportunity to compare/audition different tables plus most Dealers will set up your table as part of their after sale service.