Most Important, Unloved Cable...

Ethernet. I used to say the power cord was the most unloved, but important cable. Now, I update that assessment to the Ethernet cable. Review work forthcoming. 

I can't wait to invite my newer friend who is an engineer who was involved with the construction of Fermilab, the National Accelerator Lab, to hear this! Previously he was an overt mocker; no longer. He decided to try comparing cables and had his mind changed. That's not uncommon, as many of you former skeptics know. :)

I had my biggest doubts about the Ethernet cable. But, I was wrong - SO wrong! I'm so happy I made the decision years ago that I would try things rather than simply flip a coin mentally and decide without experience. It has made all the difference in quality of systems and my enjoyment of them. Reminder; I settled the matter of efficacy of cables years before becoming a reviewer and with my own money, so my enthusiasm for them does not spring from reviewing. Reviewing has allowed me to more fully explore their potential.  

I find fascinating the cognitive dissonance that exists between the skeptical mind in regard to cables and the real world results which can be obtained with them. I'm still shaking my head at this result... profoundly unexpected results way beyond expectation. Anyone who would need an ABX for this should exit the hobby and take up gun shooting, because your hearing would be for crap.  
douglas_schroeder
azbrd: Thanks!!!  One of the most clearly written, intelligent posts I've seen on the subject of digital A/V information transmission.  You cannot make up science.  Those that are "hearing" a better quality sound (especially via ethernet/HDMI/USB) are unknowing victims of "expectation bias."  That is, if you spend money (especially a lot of money) on what you consider an "upgrade," you WILL hear better sound whether it actually exists or not.  

I recently bought a slightly used Oppo 105D disc player.  The seller threw in 5 Wireworld Oasis 1 meter RCA cables for 10 bucks.  The current version of the Oasis one meter cable sells for $110.00 each on eBay.  I usually use Monoprice RCA connects.  Used a couple of the Oasis cables to run from the Oppo's Sabre DAC outs to my Pre-Amp.  Sounded freakin' awesome...just like the Monoprice connects.  Had I spent spent $220.00 on those two Wireworld RCA cables I'm sure it would have sounded even better.  See what I mean??
Azbrd and Dynaquest4, note that the effects (or at least the potential effects) that I described in my previous post have absolutely nothing to do with proper or improper communication of 1s and 0s.

May I suggest a simple experiment that you may find to be informative: Tune a portable battery powered AM radio to an unused frequency, with the volume control set at a position that you would normally use. Bring it close to an unshielded ethernet cable on your LAN, while the cable is conducting traffic. You may be surprised at what you hear. Then please re-read my previous post.

If you have seen many of my posts in other threads at this forum, you will realize that I am with you in believing that benefits allegedly provided by **some** controversial tweaks or other products are likely the result of either expectation bias, experimental methodology that is not adequately thorough, or failure to recognize and control extraneous variables. Not in this case, however.

Regards,
-- Al

Al, my experience shows very obviously otherwise; the Ethernet cables do not change their character based on the rest of the system. I have changed speakers and amps, and they still confer the same benefit, or in some cases lack of benefit, and with the same characteristics, as they did in the previous system.

What these others are reporting about is not BS. If you get the right cable the difference is profound. Not just, ok, but profound.

Now, in the end I will have perhaps 7 or 8 Ethernet cables to use. Some already are grouped as lower performing. One is stunningly exceptional, and I think I know the reason why. I anticipate there will be a couple others notable in terms of outstanding performance.

Just curious, if a cable is unloved does it develop problems later in life?
Possible, as it is a form of mistreatment and mistreating a cable will indeed cause problems in the future.