April 2017 review of the Paradigm Persona 9H A home run for Paradigm!

I have been following all the contested threads about the new Paradigm Persona line of speakers and it seems that many people are having difficulties in believing that Paradigm, a company well respected for value loudspeakers could produce a product that can rival the best exotic loudspeakers on the market.

The review came out today in the Absolute Sound April 2017 issue and what my ears have told me is true, is true. 
John Atkinson, compared the Pardigm 9H $35k to the Magico S7MK 2 $58k and found that Personas to be in the same class as these highly thought of prestigious loudspeakers. I think I read on one  of the threads that a Magico owner was saying that wasn't possible!

I am not an expert, on loudspeakers, I do know what sounds real to me, and when I heard these speakers my jaw hit the floor. Stunning realism. I could almost reach out and touch the Beatles, and Miles Davis. Huge sound stage, totally transparent, and smooth, with dynamite bass. 

At this point I am torn between the Legacy Audio Signatures and The Paradigm Persona 3F which shares the same driver technology of the 9H but costs $10k, I am lucky to be working with a dealer that represents both of these awesome lines of loudspeakers. 

It seems to me that many audiophiles need to open their minds and stop being so brand loyal to the point of obsession,  and start looking at the sound, and only the sound. I know for me as a professional photographer, I have gone back and forth between Canon and Nikons, and I love them both but am wedded to neither. Why in the audio world do people have such furvor over what they buy with the belief that their product and only their product is the best? In the camera world it seems much more fluid with people changing camera brands without ever starting a written riot if someone dares to bring up another brand or question their choice. 

128x128kuppe38
Nitewulf,

Audio Doctor in Jersey City?

I was blown away by Dave's knowledge and selection. He opened up a lot of ideas I was never thinking about such as streaming, I have always been a vinyl guy, his demo with T+A digital has me thinking. 

Over the years I have visited a few of the best dealers in the NY/NJ area, I think Audio Doctor has one of the best selections, not to mention his demos systems all sounded fantastic, did you see Audio Doctor's Home Theater demo it was amazing!

I also get the feeling that Dave is after what is best for his customer, I went to visit a very famous dealer mentioned countless times in these posts, and I got the feeling,  if it ain't Vandersteen I  must not be hearing correctly. 

After demoing a pair of $14k Quattros, I concluded the $7k Legacy's sounded better and cost less which would be heresy to mention on a Vandersteen post to even look at another line of speakers. Personally I don't care, the brand doesn't mean squat to me, only the sound, I don't think a lot of guys on these forums feel that way. 

Sfall Audiotroy, one of Dave's buddies, mentioned on a Wilson post that the poster who was looking at Sashas and Alexias for a small room, consider demoing a pair of the Paradigm 9H and the people on that post just got hostile and nasty and in that thread, started attacking Audiotroy.

I would conclude that if people aren't open to looking and evaluating a competitive product or shoot down such an idea, their minds are made up already that their product is the best. 
John Atkinson has nothing to do with TAS. It was Anthony Cordesman who wrote the review.

Oops I stand editorially corrected.

I found it very unusal to come right out and say that the Personas are as good as the Magicos he owns, many reviewers wouldn't come out and say that for fear of alienating another advertiser.  
Kuppe38, yes. Actually to be honest I wasn’t expecting to like the Legacy Signatures that much. But they have this wonderful airy, open, warm, engaging quality to them. And they are very resolving as well! I was using Melody Gardot, where you could hear the sharp intakes of breath, hands sliding over the bass guitar. Persona 3Fs are different beasts, guitar tones seemed to cut through the air, they are very holographic. Sounded great with all the well recorded stuff for sure. On Waltz for Debbie all the background ambient twinkling of glasses and laughter from the audience could be heard clearly.

However, bottom end and loudness are important for me, and to that end the Signatures would work better compared to the 3Fs for me, which are just much smaller obviously. And the 5Fs are much more expensive, so...it’s a difficult choice.

The Dalis for me were good, but unsure if they’d be a significant upgrade to what I have, as well as if I actually liked their presentation as a whole. I think they’d be great for jazz, acoustic etc...but not so great with rock, electronic.

I was wondering if I could ask you specifics privately?
" Sfall Audiotroy, one of Dave's buddies, mentioned on a Wilson post that the poster who was looking at Sashas and Alexias for a small room, consider demoing a pair of the Paradigm 9H and the people on that post just got hostile and nasty and in that thread, started attacking Audiotroy.

I would conclude that if people aren't open to looking and evaluating a competitive product or shoot down such an idea, their minds are made up already that their product is the best."

After reading your first post, I would have thought you would have more to go on than a story of a dealer's friend. It seemed like you had actual first hand experience, and to the point where it was becoming a problem. Anyway, what's important here is that Audiotroy survived the attack and is hopefully on a road to recovery. Best wishes to him.