The awful truth about CDs, do they have the same shelve life as LP's ?

The answer is properly not. Recent studies have shown that the chemicals used in their manufacture of CDs have reduced their life expectancy to ten years, not all but many, as per Paul Mcgowans email. The suggestion was given that if you have suspect CD's they should be re-copied. But my question is how do you identify these? I can tell you that I have a great deal of LPs and I can play anyone of these with great success and some are 40 years old. This no doubt would give some audiophiles another good reason to hold onto their belief that LPs are the way to go.
phd
sfall
Is it possible PS Audio’s customers buy their products because they use good parts, not cheap ones?

Read carefully again sfall, I didn’t say they buy cheap parts.
I said they’d save a considerable percentage on manufacturing costs by not have to purchase a quality cd transport at all from suppliers.

Just build a dac/streamers with no CD mechs. . Which equals many more dollars profit, as they would cost 1/3 less to manufacture and retail for around the same. So it's in PS Audio best interest to see the demise of DC 

BTW I do run a business, look at my avatar.
Cheers George
A fave Little Feat "boxed set" of 4 CDs from maybe 15 years ago has started to decompose (no puns please). Bummer.
Hard drives fail fast (in comparison) and the new solid state drives are no better and some worse than the spinning platter.

Backup drives, that are not in use (unpowered), almost never fail. I keep two backups (drives are cheap), in addition to main music drive, just in case of something bad happening during updates (second backup in different location in case of fire, theft, etc). The chance of failure of two unpowered drives in storage is pretty much zero. As for the SSD - the main problem is limited number of writes to each sector - completely unimportant in this application. Again - unpowered drives don’t likely fail.

"Now the music industry wants us all to support download music and music servers and abandon the CD as a medium. Is that in our best interest, or theirs?"   (My quote)

1. Nobody’s putting a gun to your head and making you switch formats. (sfall's response)

Who said anything about someone putting a gun to my head??