The "most foolish" loudspeaker tweak/upgrade ... is

I suggest Von Schweikert Audio's "ULTRA Internal Wire Upgrade" at a 'mere' $39,700..

ptss
The price may be wrong, but the principle is perfect. Internal wiring of speakers is a critical upgrade. I discuss this in my review of the Legacy Audio Whisper DSW Clarity Edition in which both the caps and cables internally were changed and the speaker showed a measurable difference in performance.  :) 

Douglas,naturally we expect the best in wiring in great speakers.
Would you not expect the ultimate in wiring in a $225,000 speaker?
testpilot it's my understanding wire shouldn't be heard...

You know what he means...
ptss, if I were spending that kind of money on speakers I would be the one making the decision which wire was used internally, not the manufacturer. If the company didn't agree, I would move on. There are far too many fantastic speakers to let a manufacturer's restrictions stop the show. 

For someone with the means to do as they wished and with some understanding of how to assess cables it would make sense to conduct comparisons of the Von Schweikert proffered cable to determine whether it was as wonderful as advertised. For a cool quarter million dollar project I would expect the manufacturer to accommodate my desire to have a rigged crossover allowing swapping the cables for a listening session. I would bring three appropriate sets of cables and conduct my own session of music. 

The much vaunted Von Schweikert wiring might win, but perhaps not. I have Verastarr cabling (reviewed) inside the Vapor Audio Joule White 3 (reviewed), a custom build and it sounds mighty fine. So, that might be a pretty good option. Ones that might be interesting to try would be Purist Audio Design or Silent Source (reviewed). 

What experience do you have with aftermarket cables and what wire would you put into a $225K speaker? 

I personally don't see what all the hubbub is about paying more for better internal wiring. It's been offered for a long time by various makers and though they are in the minority, it's nothing new to decry.

If I had the disposable income necessary for a major speaker purchase, I'd naturally inquire about it even if the maker didn't publicly offer it. He would surely know about it having tried various wires as he tuned his speaker. It's a given.

All the best,
Nonoise