Is a low output MC superior in sound quality to a high output MC??

I have seen a few  short comments over the last year on Audiogon and in few audio magazines about the differences between a Low output MC versus a High output  MC. 

What might be the pros and cons of these two designs, and in general which offers the better sound quality even if  both are  the same brand??. 

Thank you, S.J.    

sunnyjim
syntax has it... however, you have to have enough gain and quality in your other gear to appreciate the difference.

Thank you to all members who responded so far. Each has re-educated me about these two types of MC's, and also the dark horse, moving iron design offered by the Sound-Smith company which I considered but only up to the" Otello" model which is listed at $479.

The issue of phono pre-amp gain and pre-amp and amp  gain seems crucial, but so does cartridge/tonearm interface  My current system is a Moon Audio LP -110 phono pre-amp  The MM gain is 40db, and MC gain is 60db. The Moon tech said that the MM gain is high enough for even the Denon DL110 HOMC with an published spec output of 1.6 mV. The DL-103 LOMC is .0.3 and the infamous DL 103R LOMC is  approximately the same. The LOMC DL-103 is actually less expensive than HOMC DL-110.

The rest of my rig is the Conrad Johnson PV14L SE and BAT VK-200 amp; the speakers are the Golden Ear Technology 7's . I am sure how the interface of the amp , pre-amp, LP-110 PP and any LOMC would play out so I need to do a little home work. 

BTW, the Denon DL-110 HOMC weights 4.8 grams. I don't recall the weight of the DL-103 LOMC.   I mentioned this because several of  you  probably saw my thread about TT at $1100 or under. . I am still mulling over keeping the U-Turn Orbit PlusTT with the Ortofon 2M RED cartridge which   has a output of 5.5 mV which sounds better after replacing original motor because of a hum problem. The new motor has reduced 90% of the hum. but there is a residual low-level hum still there, but is not distracting or annoying..

Lastly, with the above setup of electronics and Ortofon cartridge, at step 64 out 99 steps on volume control of the CJ line stage, the sound is very loud. but good.  I am hoping a  better cartridge whether MM or MC will improve the sound, but the tonearm on U-Turn table is not well suited for anything higher than the two Denon MC's  I have indicated.  Any further comments or advice is welcomed    Thanks, SJ            

Using 47kOhm or 100kOhm MM phono input for HOMC cartridge doesn’t work for me, my 1.9mV Argent MC lose the magic when connected like that. It works superior with classic 100ohm MC input on my JLTI phono stage or with MC input on my WLM phono stage with automatic load impedance and build-in lundahl step-up stansformers.

In my opition HOMC are better with MC preamps (instead of MM preamp) and this is all about correct loading.

P.S. Matt, why on earth do we need HOMC/MM/MI/MF if the answer is so simple as you said? LOMC is not better, at least not for everybody. Otherwise all we need is LOMC which is the current trend. I don’t agree. Some of the vintage MMs are superior to MCs 10 times in price. 
Sunnyjim - not sure if you are aware of the features of the 110 - it has three groups of jumpers - from the 110 manual...

There are three (3) types of input adjustments available on the MOON 110LP Phono Pre-amplifier allowing you to configure it for either a moving magnet or moving coil cartridge; Capacitance loading, Resistance loading and Gain level.

So you should be able to tailer it exactly (or close) to the cartridge you are using and get the volume to a perfect balance.

You do have to take the cover off - the one drawer back with Moon.

Regards...