High End Amp Price Collapse musings

If Class D amplification becomes accepted by audiophiles there should be a glut of high end amps (Krell, Levinson, Pass etc) becoming available on the used market at prices a fraction of what they are now.

Think CRT TV when the flat panels began emerging.I think Ill hold off on a new/used amp purchase for a little while. Maybe I will bet a Boulder.

Has any one else considered this?

energeezer
Good thread.

I have twin Luxman M 05s in my system (Class A) and although 30 years old the sound is superb.  Far better than the Bryston 14b SST they replaced, despite the age difference.  I think, however, after hearing a few Class D amps they have a long way to go.  They DO however, make excellent sub amps, which is why you get subs now with the high power for long excursion (the first being the Sunfire True Subwoofer, IIRC correctly).  But subs don't need treble sweetness or soundstaging or imaging as a amp for mains would need.  Moreover, they are not nearly as pure in the treble and midrange liquidity as a good Class A amp can provide.  In fact, I doubt seriously that the Class D amp will compete in this regard, although I do see a time when Class D could compete with Class A/B amps.  I think Class A (either solid stage or tube) is just a step above and those whom have heard them (like me) are willing to pay the premium for the sound.  I cannot see myself ever going back from Class A and sure hope that there are offerings around when I do need it.  The Accuphase A 200 mono Class A amps are my dream go-to amps, now if only I could find a way to afford them.

Speaking of pricing......
@blackfly 

Class D amps have come a long long way since their inception when they were used solely as sub amps.  I'll argue that they don't have a long way to go as many of us in this thread feel they are equal if not superior to the Class A and A/B amps we've used, some very expensive.  I can almost guarantee that your 30 year old amps have nowhere near the low noise floor, damping factor, etc. of the NAD M22.  Amplification of sound is still science and people are starting to refer to Class D as possible near perfect amplification. The soundstage and imaging of this amp in my setup is off the charts - it's not a cheap amp at $3000.00.   My 2 little KEF LS50 speakers have disappeared from my room.  I think you need to take another listen.

Future generations will look at amps that are not class d or digital as dinosaur fossils . There will be no mass market makers of class A or ab or anyone to service them . I don't think I will be around when this happens but class A , AB  inevitably will disappear .
MHO...

Class D has already surpassed all else in terms of 'units in service', if you count cell phones and any portable digital device.  As for the quality, it'll turn on demand.  What with the rise of headphones and ear buds, that is what will ultimately 'push' the market's response.  'Home theater' will benefit from that, and will add to that demand.  Smaller, more powerful, better response will prevail.  All else will eventually become 'niche' or 'vintage', which is already occurring.

Digital will win, analog will fade, becoming the 'start' but not the end product.
'Analog' will be what you experience at a live venue, instantly becoming digital with the means of amplifying it or recording/reproducing it.  Is mostly thus already...

'Flat panel' speakers are another subject we can dis about and over...  DML's are beginning to be less laughable already.  Why would someone want an ugly or even stylish 'monkey box' cluttering up their already small living space when they could have this 'picture' like object hanging on the wall that sounds great 'enough' and a subwoofer is the coffee table?

As J. Lennon suggested, "The war is over."  The new will replace the old over time, as it always has.

Unless you'd like to get rid of that nice UHD flat panel TV you've got, and go back to CRT's, I'll suggest that y'all get used to the future.  It's here already, becoming the past as we sit and bitch about 'change' and how we may not like it...

Or, to be really crass about it....it's 'vintage' already.  Get Over It.
 The new will replace the old over time, as it always has.

Yes, we are all going to die, we get it.

Technological "advances" are nothing new with Class D amps.
I'm in my mid 50's, with children in their mid 20's to early 30's.
Despite all of the new ways to communicate that weren't around when I was their age, internet , smart phones, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc., etc., they still struggle to communicate on a human level. They seem to lack negotiating, haggling, bartering, and just general bull-sh!tting skills.
Yet they are not inferior to my generation, nor better.

I would not say that my children's lives are any better than mine, just as my life is no better than my children's, my father or grandfathers.
Newer is not better or worse, only different.

If you enjoy Class D amps, that's terrific!
If you enjoy SET amps, that's super!
If you enjoy Class A, A/B, G, H, etc., that's awesome!
If you enjoy vinyl, digital, computer, that's fabulous!

The main goal in this hobby is that you are enjoying music.
Whatever "tool" helps you to enjoy the music more is a good thing, no?

Cheers,
John