How much gain is needed in a Phono Preamp for a 0.2 to 0.3mv low output moving coil?

I have been out of audio for 25 years and am now getting back into getting a system. I have looked at Manley Chinook, Ear 834p, and Audio research 5, 6, 7 Phono preamps, after reading thru many or post on Audiogon. All have about 57db gain to 60 bd gain. I have been looking at getting either a Dynavector 10x5, Benz micro Silver, Ortofon Quintet Black, or a used Benz Ruby Z (if I can find the money). Is 57db enough gain for the cartridges. I would also welcome feedback on the Phono Preamp. I am leaning toward the ARC PH7 or Manley. Either would be around the same price. I would prefer to stay with tubes. The turntable is a VPI Prime. Any help or opinion would be greatly appreciated.
128x128juke4u
I just solved for this very situation.  Purchased a Dynavector 20x2L with 0.3 mv and my BAT VK-P5 pre-amp offered a max gain of 56dB which was not enough.  Replaced with an Avid Pellar at the 70dB gain setting which is pretty much just right for this cartridge's output.  
Lots of good suggestions in the last day or two here. 
I agree with the brief comment that a solid state phono stage will give you a lot higher chance of quick success. It hasn't been discussed much in this thread(but plenty elsewhere!) that low level phono signals are most susceptible to picking up RFI(ie. radio)/EMI noise. Tube phono more so. Go with a ss phono stage with plenty of gain and you will high probability of quick success without headaches.
The Art9 sounds lovely and balanced, great with classical, perhaps a bit on the sterile, detailed, cool side vs. Dynavectors which also are frequently mated with VPI arms and tend toward warmer, punchier, more relaxed sonic profile that appeals to many. Either is a great choice. Cheers,
Spencer 
I have a Dynavector 10X5 on a REGA P3 with the Manley Chinook Phono Pre,  45db is more than adequate for the 10X5! (this is my goto backup rig) I also have a Pro-Ject Xtension 10 with a Dynavector 20X2 Low .3mv and 60db is plenty for that cartridge as well. I use the Manley for both and switch cables around (when needed). I love both these setups, very satisfied.

Matt M
 With the Herron  you have the added advantage of being able to easily switch from 64 to 69 Db of gain just by swapping out two tubes.  And I've not heard a phonostage that I like the sounds of better yet. It's one of those things that you may not regret spending a little extra on as you will not get upgraditis  later.  
With the Herron  you have the added advantage of being able to easily switch from 64 to 69 Db of gain just by swapping out two tubes.
I'm not sure that is true, Analogluvr.  I believe I recall someone stating in a thread some time ago that he was told by Keith Herron that there are circuit differences between the two gain configurations, in addition to the differences in tubes.

In any event, as you, I, and just about everyone else who has heard it and posted about it has found, it is a remarkable performer.

Best regards,
-- Al