HDMI vs 5.1 analog connection

My processor is not HDMI audio capable....but it has 5.1 analog to connect to my Blu Ray player.

Theoretically or realistically, which will yeild the best sound, HDMI or the 5.1 analog connection?

Should I look to get a processor with HDMI audio or is the 5.1 analog as good?

Also, does digital coax cable produce better sound than an optical cable?
128x128mitch4t
1. The issue of whether HDMI or 5.1 is "better" depends on the signals you are concerned with (does your player decode and/or transmit the HD audio tracks?) and whether you want to use the DSP/bass management in the processor. I believe that, with modern equipment, it is advisable to use HDMI and let the processor handle as much as possible.

2. Should be no difference between coax and optical.

Kal
Kr4....Yes, the player does decode the HD audio tracks.

I was referring to any and all surround modes currently available on Blu Ray and and standard def dvd's..including the hi-def surround modes.
OK. Then the issue of whether HDMI or 5.1 is "better" depends on whether you want to use the DSP/bass management in the processor. I believe that, with modern equipment, it is advisable to use HDMI and let the processor handle as much as possible.
If you want to be able to play back HD audio in 7.1 you will need a processor with 7.1 ins or HDMI and 7.1 channels. When using the 7.1 inputs you will be bypassing the surround modes in the processor or receiver and only be using the player's settings. There are other ways to do it but they are cumbersome.