Equipment Rack

Does it make sense to spend several thousands of dollars on a equipment rack, if Stillpoints are used under every component?
ricred1
Good People:

I came across a fine piece of scholarly work from  an old Stereophile Magazine regarding the numbers of techniques for vibration control. Check this out. It is scholarly yet written for the layman to understand. I think it may give understanding and change the tenor of this discussion.
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/52/index.html#7gKzV9vFIbL28AQH.97

Yours, Aye
Kavakat1

kavakat1
19 posts
12-08-2016 5:11pm
Good People:

I came across a fine piece of scholarly work from an old Stereophile Magazine regarding the numbers of techniques for vibration control. Check this out. It is scholarly yet written for the layman to understand. I think it may give understanding and change the tenor of this discussion.
http://www.stereophile.com/reference/52/index.html#7gKzV9vFIbL28AQH.97

Yours, Aye
Kavakat1

Thanks for posting the link to Bad Vibes that was published in Stereophile more than 20 years ago. Actually, rather than address a "number of techniques for vibration control," the article focuses almost exclusively on vibration isolation, which at that time was relatively new to audiophiles. As Shannon Dickson points out the article the inspiration for his article on Vibration Isolation was the Townshend Seismic Sink and the Vibraplane, both of which operate according to the mass-on-spring concept.

What made the article so scholarly, as you characterized it, was actually that it was the first article in an audiophile magazine to address vibration isolation in such depth.

cheers,

Geoff Kait
Machina Dynamica
Hello Everyone,

Hope I am not veering too far off topic....

Experimenting with wooden cutting boards as platforms for speakers, cdps and amps. Would be most grateful if I could get some questions I have answered...

1) Ikea Aptitlig ...are they carbonized bamboo...or?

2) Has anyone compared the Ikea bamboo vs maple or walnut as platforms for cpd and/or speakers? Sonic differences?

Thanks.
No, but I went to Ikea to look at them (as well as bookcases for LP storage). For $15, worth a try! Keep the receipt---if you don't like them, return for a refund.
geoffkait
hi 
as for the townshend podiums they do not just isolate the speakers from ground born vibrations , they allow the speakers to float so theres is no room interaction between the speakers and anything else ,a speaker being played without the use of a podium will vibrate threw the floorboards and  walls basically everywhere so the vibrations will also enter the electronics and the other speakers in a 2 channel stereo system or enter all 5 speakers if using a home cinema system , i have experienced many different loudspeakers being placed on podiums and the results are always spectacular , it makes you realize that this level of isolation to your loudspeakers is so important, when isolating your hifi system the most important place to start is the loudspeakers , once they are completely isolated  the rest of the system is then not affected by ground born vibration which has always been a major issue , with you speakers successfully isolated on the seismic podiums you can then look at isolating the rest of your hifi from suspected vibrations generated by the components there selves , townshend audio seismic platforms or seismic pods are a great place to start , they are very effective with all types of equipment and will handle any weight from cd players to huge amplifiers the platforms come in various sizes so you just need the size of your equipment and the weight ,its the same process for your loudspeakers your require the footprint and weight of each speaker then you can choose the right size pair of podiums for your situation, i know there are lots of isolation ideas and products on the market , the townshend audio seismic isolation products are the result of 50 years of R&D and are backed up by engineering facts no snake oil or magic dust i have heard all the seismic products in various hifi situations and the results are always spectacular the biggest bang for the buck is the podiums for your speakers after hearing the difference from just the podiums and no more floor bourne vibration entering your speakers or electronics you will already be very happy with the results already but for piece of mind you could still isolate your electronics to completely finish the job using the best products on the market with measurements and 50 years of R&D behind them there is not any other company i know of that can offer these facts and that have been around as long as max townshend the seismic podiums are maybe the biggest break threw ever in the reproduction of recorded music they really are that good and not a speaker spike in site check them out you will then know exactly why im so convinced and so full of praise for them please google Townshend audio in the uk and take a look at there award winning products regards john