Think twice before concluding some thing sounds better

Often anything good that is merely different seems better.    So many aspects of sound, things to listen for. Takes time to really know what parts are better and what might actually be worse in a complementary sense 
128x128mapman
I think there is a limit to what anyone can hear in total and at any instant we focus on or hear certain things more than others. Then our focus changes over time and we hear what’s there differently with a different focus. Even when nothing at all has changed really in what is being played. It’s like looking at a picture. You can take the whole thing in initially then you tend to focus on different content at different times.

mapman wrote,

"I think there is a limit to what anyone can hear in total and at any instant we focus on or hear certain things more than others. Then our focus changes over time and we hear what’s there differently with a different focus. Even when nothing at all has changed really in what is being played. It’s like looking at a picture. You can take the whole thing in initially then you tend to focus on different content at different times."

I think it’s actually NOT like looking at a picture. No offense. Audio is neither like looking at a still picture or a moving picture. Either the sound is more complicated than pictures and video or we trust our vision much more than our hearing. That’s why, when we go shopping for TVs, we waltz into the TV store, look at a bunch of TVs that fit our budget and pick the one with the best picture. No hassle, no angst, no hand wringing. Quite unlike going shopping for audio stuff.

The problem is - and this is only my opinion - most of us don’t know where our system stacks up in the overall continuum of sound quality and are more or less LOST AT SEA when it comes to assessing the sound we have, the sound we’re striving for, and how to get there. Everything is relative. The only way we have to judge the quality of something is to compare it to something else, something better or worse. Obviously I’m using the word we editorially. 😛

I always take several months to evaluate a piece of equipment. I have also found that AB tests lead you no where. I have very firm ideas what I want my gear to sound like and thats what I strive for. Buy the way your description of buying a tv is no different from how a lot of people buy stereos
Alan
Hi, guys....I throw my vote and HO with geoff, esp. the last paragraph.  It's a moving target; your space vs. the showroom, your equipment and peripherals vs. theirs, and 'broken in' and familiar music selections vs. the unknown age and use of whatever, speakers in particular.  I'll give a nod to cables and connectors and the like....those who've spent major money on such may be able to discern differences between x and y.  I haven't spent as much time with their stuff, so I really wouldn't notice any differences...

And then we edge into taste and preference, Pandora's box in any discussion of improvements.  What floats my boat might make you smile and be diplomatic about it, all the while thinking I'm insane and have ears between my lower cheeks.  On the other hand, the majority of 'high end' offerings are relatively equal in What they can provide.  It's the nuances of their 'presentation' of any given sound is what we end up arguing about.  And that, as we've noticed, can go on seemingly forever.

I'd rather not argue with you.  It's time consuming, ultimately a little rude IMHO, and it's better to agree to disagree.  I'll adjust my ears, shut off my preferences, and Listen to what you enjoy running.  I've always found something that I enjoy in other's gear in the place they've set it up.  But I've got to Be There to do so.  Not being independently wealthy and of a means to inflict myself on anyone's 'audio hospitality' kinda makes that a moot issue.

If you like what you've got, Great.  If you think it needs tinkering, have at it.  You're the judge and jury.  Me too, but only for mine and here.  If anyone's in the Asheville area, my door's open.  I've love to have a pair of 'educated ears' give my DIY omni's a critique.  So far nobody's brave enough to take the invite, even though I promise not to take umbrage if they think they stink.  So, in the meanwhile, I'll carry on doing the improbable with next to nothing and be happy in my delusions. ;)

Oh, BTW...Happy New Year, y'all. *S*

Mapman, I bet you are thinking of an upgrade.
I always focus on an entire sound picture, though certain aspects can be obvious right away. Fine tuning is another matter. And different is, well, different.