Please help! - Buy VPI Classic or keep Technics 1200

I've got upgraditis and am thinking about treating myself to a new audio component for Christmas.  I currently have a Technics 1200 with a Denon 103R cartridge and a heavily modified Jolida JD9 phono stage.  Yes it sounds fantastic but I don't know what I am missing with a VPI Classic or similar table.  There isn't a place close to me where I can go for a demo.  

My question is for you experts - would there be a substantial sound improvement with a VPI Classic  or Classic 2 table if I were to invest the $4,000 in comparison to my Technics 1200?  Would it take the sound to a higher level?  (which is something that I am looking for).  I don't really care about aesthetics or bragging rights but what I do care about is performance and functionality.
audioman2015
I would never chande high torque Direct Drive turntable for a Belt Drive toy. 

But Technics 1200 with $100 stock arm deserve a better tonearm for MC cartridges.
Keep your turntable and buy more albums, or as "bigkidz" says, get a new phono stage.
Save your money while keeping your eye out for a Townshend Rock 7. They may come up for sale when their owners upgrade to Townshend's latest tt when it debuts. Blows away my Classic 3 SE Sig.

I just bought one. It is worth the wait!

Always buy more lps no matter what.
 @chakster is correct about the arm, but read up on KAB's tonerarm rewire and fluid damper if budget is low. 
If you like linear trackers the $1k Transfi arm sounds great on 1200s, I also really like the similarly priced Audiomods based on theory, but haven't had a chance to hear one, so take that for what it's worth(i.e. further investigation).

I am thrilled for @slaw , but bet there aren't many Rock 7s out there, let alone soon availalbe used. Cheers,
Spencer
I talked with Max Townshend two weeks ago. He said his new tt will be out in 6 months. This is why I thought anyone interested in the possibility of a Rock 7 coming up for sale, should be on the look-out then. Believe me, it's worth it!