Please help! - Buy VPI Classic or keep Technics 1200

I've got upgraditis and am thinking about treating myself to a new audio component for Christmas.  I currently have a Technics 1200 with a Denon 103R cartridge and a heavily modified Jolida JD9 phono stage.  Yes it sounds fantastic but I don't know what I am missing with a VPI Classic or similar table.  There isn't a place close to me where I can go for a demo.  

My question is for you experts - would there be a substantial sound improvement with a VPI Classic  or Classic 2 table if I were to invest the $4,000 in comparison to my Technics 1200?  Would it take the sound to a higher level?  (which is something that I am looking for).  I don't really care about aesthetics or bragging rights but what I do care about is performance and functionality.
audioman2015

Showing 5 responses by chakster

@audioman2015 technics stock tonearm and Denon 103R cartridge is a total missmatch. This tonearm was designed for MM cartridges of mid/high compliance and the effective mass of this arm is too low for a fairly low compliance DL103R cartridge. You need heavy tonearm like Thomas Schick "12 (which is not compatible with technics 1200) or at least Audiomods or Jelco that you can easily install on your technics to match your denon very well with the arm. I assume your 1200 is mk2? Anyway it’s a very strange choice of the cartridge for technics deck, i think you loose the most of 103R with lightweight tonearm like a stock technics.
I would never chande high torque Direct Drive turntable for a Belt Drive toy. 

But Technics 1200 with $100 stock arm deserve a better tonearm for MC cartridges.
@sbank for those who don't know: KAB site is down for a few years, it's impossible to open the site. I got those fluid dampers on my pair of upgraded 1210, but it only helps with high compliance cartridges. 

My SP10mk2 in a custom plinth gives me more flexibility with toneaems ("9 or "12 inch). I also have Technics SP20 and i love it. 
I don’t care, but the site does not work in my country for a long time, no matter which device (mobile or pc or mac) or which browser we use here (it doesn’t work for any of my local friends), i’m glad it’s fine for you in USA https://www.kabusa.com/ I just got the message that it's impossible to connect to the server. 

It was fine to dead with Kevin in the past by email, but to be honest his site was and probably still is the worst ever oldschool desing i have ever seen (it was designed like those web sites from the mid 90s when i bought my first computer) and remains the same till my last visit few years ago:) Then it just stop working and it seems like a server problem. Time to update the site. 

I have rare Technics SP20 if anyone need it, it looks exactly like SP10mk2, but in very nice original black finish and internal power supply. This model is rare and it was produced in 1976 like a budget version of SP10mk2. It has quartz lock etc, but plays only 33/45 (no 78s), this SP20 is way different from cheaper SP10 crap.

Technics Sp20 is a younger brother of Sp10mk2. So i think the black SP20 is something between SL1200/1210 mk5 and SP10mk2. I’m sure it was made ONLY for Japanese market back in the days and very little known for that reason. I like it, but i have two Luxman PD-444, so i can sell SP20 in perfect condition.

The SP20 is much better than SL1210mk2 (i have two of them) or Sl120mk3D or SL1200mk5, because you can use custom plinth and whatever tonearm you want anytime + it looks exactly like the ultimate Sp10mk2 (same size, but in black). Any plinth designed for SP10mk2 works well for SP20.

Picture of Technics SP20 with ultimate mega rare Technics EPA-100 mk2 (boron armtube) tonearm: http://cfile28.uf.tistory.com/image/27180245521EFB8423F8E3