Class D Technology

So I get the obvious strengths of Class D. Efficiency, power output & running cool which allows for small form factors. I also understand the weaknesses somewhat. 1. Non-linear & lots of distortion that needs to be cleaned up with an output filter. 
So my question is, if it weren't for efficiency & power, would there be any reason to own a Class D amp? Do they beat Class A in any other categories that count for sound quality?  
seanheis1
Can’t "see the forest through the trees" even though they are presented to you.

The Apogee’s in 1ohm mode were never meant to be driven with tube amps, especially ones like you mentioned, they needed big s/s amps like Krells, Classe, Mark Levinson, yes and even the earlier big JR’s, ones that could pump current into most loads down to 1ohm. You should know this being an owner of a Krell FPB-600c and why didn’t you drive the Apogee’s in 1ohm mode with that, I’m sure you would have changed your mind about the classd-.

Only condescending to the posts that believe that Class-D can drive a speaker to "it’s full potential", when most of the load it represents is around 1ohm, and we’re not even mentioning -phase angles yet. Though I think they will be pretty benign being a planer speaker.

Cheers George
georgelofi:

"The Apogee’s in 1ohm mode were never meant to be driven with tube amps, especially ones like you mentioned, they needed big s/s amps like Krells, Classe, Mark Levinson, yes and even the earlier big JR’s, ones that could pump current into most loads down to 1ohm."

Oh, you mean like my Classe’ Audio DR-25, dual bridged-mono DR-9s, or my Krell FPB-600c (6000w/ch@1 ohm with 143 amps of current according to JA’s bench test in Stereophile)?

I had no idea that those would work well with Apogees. Oh, wait, I used the DR-25 and Krell with my Apogees for years before trading for the equally-difficult-to-drive Thiel CS-5i’s.

Best check people’s Virtual System page before spouting off. Where’s yours?

Best to you George
Dave
Please let me know if you want, I’ll post in Tech forums for guru’s to respond.
Tech advise needed, Apogee Scintilla in 1ohm mode which amp?

Krell FPB-600c or is there any Class-D you can recommend to equal the Krell?
And yes even any of the ones you just mentioned would be fine, why weren’t these mentioned instead of just the tube ones you tried before, as they had no chance, and you should have known that.
Cheers George
READ my first post George. It was talking about MY FRIEND’S H2O Class D amps with his Scintillas in challenge to your statements trashing all Class D amps as inferior as if there was no difference between them.

I normally do not need to qualify my posts with details of my system. I felt it to be unavoidable in this case.

Why would I need opinions of "gurus" when I have actual real-life listening experiences regarding this exact subject?

Best to you George,
Dave
I used the DR-25 and Krell with my Apogees for years before trading for the equally-difficult-to-drive Thiel CS-5i’s.
I assume that you had the same seeing you compared them to your friends.

Why would I need opinions of "gurus" when I have actual real-life listening experiences regarding this exact subject?
Because the ones I would ask, you’d have difficulty in dismissing them as well. Just ask and it will be done.
Cheers George