Selling?

I just had an unsolicited offer to buy my CJ 350. He wanted to drive down from the East Coast and pay cash. No price was mentioned. The next day he ask and I told him $6500. I thought this was quite low but I am getting old and have moved into an apt. He was shocked and said that he had seen many for $4000 and one for $3800. Now I have been in audio since 1960 and have a good idea what things are worth. I did not believe this for a minute. Looking on the net I found only one and it was $8724. So if you don't know yourself check with the bluebook before you sell. I told him to buy one of the cheap ones he talked about. So beware of lowballs.

128x128stanwal
I like to check Audiogon listings for fun and maybe a purchase or three, but when I see someone who has valued their item badly--overvalued--I do chuckle, good luck with that!  

@austinbob , it's even funnier when they put "Priced to Sell" in the header!!!

I’m in the this-seems-like-an-odd-situation camp. stanwal does not have his amp up for sale. Someone calls him out of the blue and makes arrangements to come to his house and pick the amp up without discussing the price. I’d be a little hesitant about the situation. You know those deals where something just doesn’t seem right? Often times something isn’t right.

Thanks for the report stanwal.

Could have been a way to case your home for a future burglary. These days anything is possible! 

Just for giggles, now that you know what some informed people might pay, would you accept $4800 for the amp?
I regularly keep an eye on prices. I have been a home dealer for many high end products over the years. Quad. Krell, B&W .VPI And a lot of others. I just thought he was low balling me and so did my other experienced friends. I can"t remember getting an unsilisted offer and I go back to 1962. He couldn't fool me but I am experienced. He wanted to come down from Vermont before we even discussed price. The ordinary process is to bargain a little before the sale. I just bought an amp; I offered him $ 200 [10%] lessunselistedas asking and he took it and we were both happy.

I have been out of the hobby for a few years due to health issues. I didn't really want to sell it but recently bought a Gamut amp and since I am using Gamut speakers I didn't think I needed both. I also have 3 pairs of mono amps from my dealer days and a lot of other things. My other advice is to make sure you are getting the best out of what you are using now. Often a minor tweak is all you need. Read one of the set up books and experiment with placement. I once sold a pair of 801s and the buyer called in desperation that they didn't sound the same. I took the 30 miles to where he lived and he had one on a solid wall and the other on a glass wall. I told him to swap them and of course the sound switched sides. But then I am an honest dealer; I have known some that were not. Most are just ignorant, have been selling refrighters or something. I went in to show a friend an amp I didn't carry and they didn't have it. I went back and there it was on the shelf.