Best Sounding Computer Audio Player For PC

I have been using Foobar2000 to play computer audio through my DAC. It is simple and straight forward. But I am wondering if there is a better sounding players out there. I tried JRiver and thought the sound was slightly better. But JRiver is designed for not only music but video and well as photos. There is a lot of overhead that I really don't need or want.

So what other audio players have better sound than Foobar2000?
128x128lostbears
@lostbears Already answered your question about what to do if you can't run an ethernet cable. Search CA for you the popular model of power line adapters that plug into AC outlets in both rooms and send the signal from router to audio room where you'd plug a an ethernet cable from the plugged in adapter to the microRendu. Pretty sure the pair of adapters <$100 via amazon,etc. 
The reason why microRendu doesn't is have multiple outputs is because every cent is engineered into optimizing the sound of its USB output beyond what is on just about every other USB output, including its use of Swenson's Regen tech.
So @lustformusic , when you say that Dac8 (or any other) sounds better with  AES have you tried that vs. USB fed from a microRendu? I would argue that the improvements made probably beat any other source via AES into Dac8. I have no doubt about your assertion using other sources. Cheers,
Spencer

Spencer, hard to pin down why, could be that Fire Wire is better than USB, or the USB interface in the Dac8 is inferior to the Weiss interface, maybe even the addition of a extra clocking between server and Dac . the volume control within the Weiss is better so far than the volume control within Foobar or the Bent Passive Volume control I tried or the volume control built in to my Vac power Amp. I also tried  all the above in combination with each other.

I haven't tried your microRendu , not sure it's available here, well worth looking into though.

I have assumed that once bit perfect with low latency was achieved there  was not much more could be achieved but I am open.

Hi. I hope it's OK to resurrect an old thread.

I'm putting together a new media PC - the one I built back in 2005 has finally given out.

Over the last 13 years I have used the optical out from the motherboard to connect to my Denon AV amp that has 5 channel stereo (uses the centre and rear speakers - plus it has A and B front speakers). I mainly play pop and dance music mp3s - so nothing too high brow. It needs a good, clear thud to the base, lots of clear treble, pleasant vocals. It's not got to sound like a violin is in the room with me, it's just got to blast out some thrilling dance stuff that doesn't distort. My mp3s are all gained down a bit so they don't clip.

I have always used Winamp set to full treble and bass and the set up sounded absolutely amazing. I've never heard music sound better anywhere else.

I did try Windows Media Player and iTunes but these never came close to the quality of the sound that came out of Winamp.

I know Winamp won't work on Windows10 (although a new version might be coming out), and I don't think there is a Linux version. I could use some VPC software and use a Windows XP VPC to install Winamp so I know there will be ways round it.

However, there might be players around than Winamp that might meet my requirements. I've seen Foobar2000 and Audirvana mentioned. What would be the best sounding audio player for Windows 10 or Linux (probably Elementary or Mint)

Thanks
mwelbourne
I know Winamp won't work on Windows10 (although a new version might be coming out) ...  What would be the best sounding audio player for Windows 10 or Linux
Winamp works on Windows 10 for me, no problem. I don't think a new version is likely soon - if ever.

JRiver's Media Center is another good tool, but it isn't free.