HOLO Audio Spring DAC: Affordable discrete R2R Multibit Dac, could be a winner.

Many manufacturers are going back to R2R Multibit d/a conversion, a good portion of audiophiles are saying it sounds better than the cheaper d/a conversion of Delta Sigma, (1 bit), Bitstream, Saber. etc.
And it says it uses dual R2R’s Multibits to support DSD natively!!? 

Product Description:This new DAC.”Spring” is the first design of a new era, a milestone for HOLO Audio’s own Jeff Zhu. It’s a full discrete R2R type of audio decoder and does not have off the shelf-DAC chip! This is a bespoke custom-designed core DAC module and truly a breakthrough with technology for any DAC chip today. The Spring is here to achieve new heights, new dynamics and simply a full spectrum of audio to please the aural senses. This Dac has been called the poor mans Total Dac / MSB / Wavedream / Chord Dave Etc. It plays with the big boys.

https://kitsunehifi.com/product/springdacbase/

Looks amazing inside for $1,700. Schiit Yaggi better watch out!!!!

Cheers George
128x128georgehifi

Finally a review, BUT!!!! it’s done by a computer/software geek, with more emphasis on what the source is, and not much in the way of how it sounds, especially nothing when being fed PCM, 16/44/24/96 or DXD pcm, which is where it should shine.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/722-holo-audio-spring-level-3-kitsune-tuned-edition-r2r-dac-review/

Cheers George
bimmer100

Bimmer, your connected in some way to Holo, get them to give a review sample to Stereophile for a real review and if JA’s lab tests concur with what the reviewer hears, which "can sometimes" keep them honest.

Cheers George
Read the review by Ted on computeraudiophile.com. Very interesting indeed, especially since it has I2S.
Bimmer,
It a blu-ray player with HDMI out is connected to this DAC with a HDMI cable, will this DAC be able to process the DSD stream via I2S? Or is the I2S completely different than a regular HDMI?
This DAC looks like a competition for Bryston BDA-3, since it also has separate paths for PCM and DSD and the Bryston also has HDMI "in".
The HDMI input on the Holo Spring DAC is not compatible with a conventional HDMI output like that from a blu-ray or dvd player. It is wired according to the I2S connection standard which is used by PS Audio and some others like the Singer SU-1. Any standard HDMI cable can be used for the I2S connection but the pins for I2S are used differently than the conventional HDMI connection standard.