Need Help From The Resident Experts

My problem:

My preamp puts out 30db of gain and the output impedance is 1.2K ohms.  My power amp input impedance is 22K ohms.  I can only use 1/4th of the volume controls (9 o'clock) and it is too loud after that point.  What would be the ideal output impedance for the preamp to mate well with the power amp?  Components in question are an Audible Illusions Modulus 3B and an Odyssey Stratos Extreme+++.  I would like to use more of the volume range and am open to a different pre.

128x128stereo5
My problem:
My preamp puts out 30db of gain and the output impedance is 1.2K ohms. My power amp input impedance is 22K ohms. I can only use 1/4th of the volume controls (9 o'clock) and it is too loud after that point. What would be the ideal output impedance for the preamp to mate well with the power amp? Components in question are an Audible Illusions Modulus 3B and an Odyssey Stratos Extreme+++. I would like to use more of the volume range and am open to a different pre.
stereo5
All to common, no need for a preamp with gain, try one of these for $49 and don't look back.
And you can sent it back, if you wish, I doubt you will.
http://schiit.com/products/sys

A Quote from the master Nelson Pass

Nelson Pass,
We’ve got lots of gain in our electronics. More gain than some of us need or want. At least 10 db more.
Think of it this way: If you are running your volume control down around 9 o’clock, you are actually throwing away signal level so that a subsequent gain stage can make it back up.
Routinely DIYers opt to make themselves a “passive preamp” - just an input selector and a volume control.
What could be better? Hardly any noise or distortion added by these simple passive parts. No feedback, no worrying about what type of capacitors – just musical perfection.
And yet there are guys out there who don’t care for the result. “It sucks the life out of the music”, is a commonly heard refrain (really - I’m being serious here!). Maybe they are reacting psychologically to the need to turn the volume control up compared to an active preamp.
Cheers George

George.....

Thanks but not interested. I need a full function pre with remote at least 3 line inputs a tape loop and input for my turntable. The rogue RP-5 seems to fill the bill, plus it’s tubes. I have always had a tube preamp in my system and like the sound combined with the solid state amp. I listen to mostly rock and  it works out well for me.

Prima Luna preamps are designed specifically with low gain for just that reason. :)

And quite easy to mod the caps with....hehehhe

Not sure about remotes.

Best,

Erik
Viva Almarg!!!

As a horribly scarred past M3A owner I hope you will post the outcome of your experience.