Are there headphones that image in front of you rather than in your head?

I have and excellent room and system but I need a small and "just me" system. I have owned several headphones but found I cannot stand them and having performers in my head. 

Has anyone found headphones that keep performers in front of you?
tbg
Right you are Tony, the Sigma. Pretty goofy looking, and really bulky. I should have known better, still owning a pair of Lambda Pros!
bdp24,

I also own a pair of Stax Lambda Signatures that I drive with a Stax SRM- T1S. They get less use now as I'm trying to break in my 009's. I don't think you can beat Stax for headphone sound. Obviously, that's just my opinion (formed over the last 25 years). 
Tonykay,

I would agree that the detail, timbre of instruments, high end, etc. are exemplary with the top Stax head phones, But you never experience realism and think you are at the recording session.

It strikes me that we should be able to duplicate in the brain the same thing as we get with speakers in our rooms. 
Headphones will certainly give you the "just me" experience, and they are indispensable for listening late at night without disturbing anyone else. It's hard to say if they can image inside your head to recreate the illusion of a live event formed by speakers in front of you. It seems to me that the sensation of a live event takes place in your head in either case. I do think that the more experience someone has listening to headphones allows them to ignore the limitations of the device and enjoy the experience for what it is, simply your own personal enjoyment. Again, just my opinion.
tbg

Getting a soundstage using headphones that makes the listener forget the sound is between the ears is a challenge, but it can be done.

The most practical starting point is using Sennheiser 800 headphones. They have the biggest soundstage, are lightweight, and comfortable.  Also easy to drive. Buy a used pair. If it looks like the experiment might work for you, upgrade the headphone cable (it will decrease glare and grain).

Listen to headphones lying down with the room lights dim. In this position have your eyes closed and listen to the music. It is then much easier to tell your brain that the drums are now 15 feet in front of you, instead of being inside or behind your brain. Removing conflicting visual triggers will do a lot to retrain the brain. It does take time . It is worth it.

Everything that affects a big speaker system affects headphone listening but even more so. So for a great headphone experience think cables, interconnects, footers, fuses, wall outlets, equipment racks. But think in terms of improving darkness, decreasing grain, and reducing the HF hash that moves instruments closer to the listener. Fast detailed components might not be the best path.

The highlight of many days for me is the just before sleep headphone listening session.

David Pritchard