Recommendation for Improvement over McCormack DNA-225

I currently have a McCormack DNA 225 mated with a VTL 2.5 and Line Magnetic 502 DAC powering my Salk Veracity HT3's. I think it sounds really nice but can definitely have some top end harshness, especially at the volumes I like to listen to.  I consider the Salk's are fairly power hungry in the low end (as confirmed with Jim Salk), can anyone recommend a SS amp with as much grunt as the McCormack in the range of 2K plus or minus.  Sure I would like a Pass or Ayre, but those are way above my price bracket.    I've tried Bel Canto Ref1000 mono's and Van Alstine.  The DNA had a better mid range presentation and better bottom end than both, no comparison.  Any other recommendations shy of the DNA 500, which again is over my price range.
128x128dwolek

Thanks jmcgrogan2..... you bought the refurb?  That means the dwolek has to fend for himself....   Congrats,  this is a very nice sounding amp.

Maybe dwolek can get a few bucks off the previously enjoyed amp... really though.  I would expect this amp to last 40 years.  You both should be good. I agree that Coda typically compares to product just about double its cost.  Enjoy,  Tim

@dwolek  I have a DNA-1 Deluxe in my system.  I too thought it a bit harsh in the high end and contacted Steve McCormack at SMc Audio about having it modified.  That was quite a few years ago and I am listening to music through it as I type this message to you.  Steve will admit to you that some compromises had to be made with the stock amp to stay within a certain price point.  My modified amp has not a hint of harshness.  There is a richness in a true to life sense and amazing soundstage openness.  And yes, the speed that originally attracted me to the DNA design is still there. Rather than purchase an entirely new amp. at least talk to Steve.  You will have to invest some $ but far less than a comparable new amp.

Good luck!

My X250 is pretty darn good; not at all harsh and I've had a few tube amp lovers comment on its an amp they could live with and I don't see them ever going to SS. I'm sure the .5 is better and likely I'll jump over it to the .8 when and if I decide to make the move. The DNA amps in my opinion were a breakthrough amp when they came out and a lot of designers started looking at their designs and changing things after these amps first came out. Worked for a shop that sold plenty so I know them. I personally wouldn't trade out my Pass for one; just not in the same league.  I never felt the McCormack gear was bright though, but maybe not as full and refined as others... they never would fool anyone they're tubes either, but very good value. What are you using for a power cord and speaker cables? Might want to look at your cables.
I'm using cardas crosslink speaker and MAC power cables.  I do have a very competent tech who could upgrade the amp with parts consistent with what SMC does for much less money.  That is an option.  So is the consensus either a coda or X250 for smoothness if I choose to upgrade?  I'd love to hear of a couple other option.  Thanks. 
CODA and Pass Labs are very good SS amps.
Clayton Audio also makes very good, smooth SS amps. Hard to find on the used market. You may be able to find a pair of M-100's monoblocks in your price range.