Recommendation for Improvement over McCormack DNA-225

I currently have a McCormack DNA 225 mated with a VTL 2.5 and Line Magnetic 502 DAC powering my Salk Veracity HT3's. I think it sounds really nice but can definitely have some top end harshness, especially at the volumes I like to listen to.  I consider the Salk's are fairly power hungry in the low end (as confirmed with Jim Salk), can anyone recommend a SS amp with as much grunt as the McCormack in the range of 2K plus or minus.  Sure I would like a Pass or Ayre, but those are way above my price bracket.    I've tried Bel Canto Ref1000 mono's and Van Alstine.  The DNA had a better mid range presentation and better bottom end than both, no comparison.  Any other recommendations shy of the DNA 500, which again is over my price range.
128x128dwolek

Showing 5 responses by timlub

There is a Coda CSX listed on US Audio Mart for $2600.  This is a detailed yet smooth musical amplifier 330 watts to 8 and 660 watts to 4.  Not sure if they would deal or not, but sure fits the bill. 

Good Luck,  Tim

Thanks jmcgrogan2..... you bought the refurb?  That means the dwolek has to fend for himself....   Congrats,  this is a very nice sounding amp.

Maybe dwolek can get a few bucks off the previously enjoyed amp... really though.  I would expect this amp to last 40 years.  You both should be good. I agree that Coda typically compares to product just about double its cost.  Enjoy,  Tim

Hi Dwolek,

Remember the Coda boys came from Pass/Threshold,  they have a similar flavor and Coda oem's for Sanders & others with some highly touted amps. 

Not steering you from Pass, but don't be afraid of the Coda.  Went back and looked at the posting that I mentioned.  It was posted by Coda,  I'd call Doug Dale at Coda,  he is very honest and will tell you straight.

Good luck,  Tim

I do agree that a fuse and a new outlet can make a difference, but to send someone down this road which in net expense between an amp mod, new outlets and fuses vs getting a clearly better amp like the Coda or Pass makes no sense to me. You should be able to sell the DNA225 for $1200 to $1300

Actually I would recommend that everyone try a different outlet.  I've tried a few of the more affordable.  You can hear improvements in a $40 to $200 outlet,  So I don't call them snake oil....I also have power conditioning on my preamp and Dac, made a nice improvement.  For me,  My amps have sounded best plugged directly into the outlet.  I have also modified gear and have had terrific changes... If you are going to keep this amp for several years, that isn't a bad option IF you are convinced that this will give you the improvement that you seek.... My experience is that when you go to sell a piece of modded equipment, others just aren't willing to pay for the mods and you end up losing that money. 

If he buys a Pass or Coda.... or whatever on a decent used price,  dwolek won't risk losing much money, you can normally resell for about what you pay and the resale of the McCormack will help recoup a lot of what he pays for the purchase of the new amp.

I hope this all makes sense.  Tim