What is more accurate: magnetic anti-skating, or barrel weight attached a fishline?

I have seen turntables from Project, Music Hall, and a few other brands that still incorporate a small barrel weight attached to short fishline string which is stretched across a hooking loop to set ANTI-SKATING. It seems to be an artifact from the 1960's and 1970's tonearm design. It is also easy to lose or break 

My question is how accurate is that "device" compared to magnetic anti-skating employed by many turntable manufacturers   Thank you

sunnyjim
Thom...you probably know this already, but VPI’s Antiskate gizmo is the only one that I am familiar with, that can be set to progressively add or remove a/s either toward the beginning, middle, or end of the rescord....simply by rotating the device and having the arm straight out is the most a/s. As the tonearm travels along the record the weight moves out increasing the effect. When the weight is raised, (or lowered passed horizontal) there is less force on the arm itself where the weight/ force is more on the pivot of the a/s gizmo itselt.

To rauliruegas,  Without a doubt, understanding anti-skating is much more complex that I  had imagine.  Almarg mentioned  some of the points you make in his last response.  I often wonder with all these mechanical and geometrical parameters if analog is really worth it.  As you said it is an imperfect medium. 

I recently had some bad experiences with both used and new LP's. It seems  even  new  LP's come with their share of pop clicks and surface. noise  About a month ago I purchased a brand new, sealed LP from Music Direct of Vivaldi 's "Four Season" featuring Isak Perlman as lead violin.. His performance is robust and simply spectacular  However, sound quality  was  often marred by pops (some almost explosive) clicks, and  consistent surface noise. The vinyl must have been sourced from  Goodwill stores recycling bin.  And this is supposed to be a new LP!!!

.I have read for years above the declining quality of vinyl used for LP pressings.  I have a 35 year old copy of CCR's LP "Pendulum"  which is virtually silent during play despite less plays than some other older LP's I still have in my modest collection.    

I just purchased from the Discogs internet used record  Mozart's "Six Quartets Dedicated to Haydn" played by Quartetto Italiano on a Philips label ( issue date unknown, possibly early 1960's)  The performance is sublime, a testament to the dedication and brilliance of  the four musicians.  The sound quality is also extraordinary with a "your are there presence "  However, the vinyl has its share of flaws despite the seller's description of being "almost mint"  The  booklets that accompanies the 3 LP set are beginning to yellow which may be a clue to its age.  So far, I have only played the first LP.  Early out on side two, there is a distinctive hollow echo distorted sound which I know from experience indicates badly worn grooves from either a cheap cartridge or two many plays.  Nevertheless, it is fine recording and a keeper.   Thanks for the comment.

Sunnyjim.....Although I greatly admire Perlman, he's not my favorite interpreter.   ..a wonderfully nice man, but I prefer Kuijken's 4 Seasons.   You probably will have to get a used copy...I think it's out of print, but he plays it with gut strings...wonderfully.  Also, his unaccompanied Bach Sonatas and Partitas are without peer.  The Absolute Sound said it was their one selection for the desert isle escape.  (many years ago)
"I have read for years above the declining quality of vinyl used for LP pressings. "

During the 1970s oil embargo and price spike the major record labels responded by making "ultra thin" disks (120 gram or less?) and upping the percentage of recycled vinyl. To make matters worse most did not even bother to punch out the paper label before recycling. This resulted in little "hair like" fibers embedded in and sticking out of the grooves. I believe most of the vinyl used today is "virgin" vinyl. Most of the "clicks" and "pops" are probably due to pressing related issues.

@nandric 

Dear chakster, I prefer the Lustre 801. Excelent tonearm but with

mediocre lift construction. And, as Raul already recommended, the

counterweight(s) should be used in the usual way avoiding magnetic

VTF adjustment. This way the counterweight(s) can be get nearer to

the pivot.

Sorry for the off-top, but which silver external cable do you use with Lustre 801 ? I just managed to get missing counterweight "A" for my lustre and i hope soon the arm will be mounted on PD-444 turntable. The missing link is silver cable.