Synergistic Red Fuse ...

I installed a SR RED Quantum fuse in my ARC REF-3 preamp a few days ago, replacing an older high end fuse. Uhh ... for a hundred bucks, this little baby is well worth the cost. There was an immediate improvement upon installation, but now that its broken in (yes, no kidding), its quite remarkable. A tightening of the focus, a more solid image, and most important of all for my tastes, a deeper appreciation for the organic sound of the instruments. Damn! ... cellos sound great! Much improved attack on pianos. More humanistic on vocals. Bowed bass goes down forever. Next move? .... I'm doing the entire system with these fuses. One at a time though just to gauge the improvement in each piece of equipment. The REF-75se comes next. I'll report the results as the progression takes place. Stay tuned ...

Any comments from anyone else who has tried these fuses?
128x128oregonpapa
nyame ...

On the IC replacement later this year; I'd highly recommend that you also audition one from Von Gaylord Audio. A one meter pair is right there at your budget limit. Fantastic products. Very neutral, musical and tonally correct.  

http://vongaylordaudio.com/beta/cabling/

OP
Oregonpapa

Thanks. Now this is an example of an insightful post. Got it Mapman?

The greatest audiophile I know of, is Peter Moncrief and he reviewed the Chinchilla a long time ago in his quarterly magazine IAR. I learned so much from this great man. In fact he is why I purchased my McCormack preamp and my Odyssey khartao extreme power amp. He taught me about the value of passive components (caps, resisters, diodes, wire and so on. My son now builds his own tube traps from information made available by Peter Moncrief.  Sometime around 1985 I was among a group of  audiophiles who decided to build a preamp designed by Professor Marshall Leak of the Georgea Institute of technology. Although each of us was building the same circuit as published in Audio magazine we used different parts from a range of manufactures. Because I subscribed to IAR, then called an "under ground" mag I was aware of the best sounding film capacitors ("wonder caps" ), the best sounding resistors ("resista" resistors from Germany] and Signal transformers from the USA.  preamps.

He was a great fan of McCormack products and described the Mccormack preamp as a solid state preamp that even tube lovers could love. He also said similar good things about the Odyssey power amp of the day.  He
loved the Von Gaylord Chinchilla interconnect so much that he rated it above all other interconnects regardless of price. I will not purchase any cable without a prior audition, but if this option is available I will certainly give it an audition. Have you been able to audition the current Chinchilla? If so perhaps you could write a few words on what you heard.

nyname if you really care my posts are all here for you to read and determine if any are insightful or not. Why would you need me to tell you which ones are substantive or insightful? So you can tell me they are not? Only you can determine what adds value or not for you.

If you have specific questions or things you want to discuss  just ask.   I'll be happy to respond.

wolf_garcia    7.26.16

" Damn…where’s my Dremmel tool... "

Wolf, I am just as frustrated with Synergistic Research as you and many audiophiles are. The language used to describe cables made with a few strands of wire is really difficult to deal with. At least twice in the last 5 years I decided not to ever deal with them again.

However, since I am a member of the cable company, which provides their products on loan for a small fee, I continue to deal with them if their products prove to be good value when auditioned.

I have been trying to figure out why the overblown language and here is my current thoughts. The products that synergistic research manufacture are basically simple and relatively easy to make, if you know how. I believe SR is reluctant to fully explain exactly what basic materials are used and how the cables and other products are made. Why? Because SR spend a lot of money, using basic trial and error, to develop their products. They probably believe if they let everyone know exactly how to make their products they would be unable to make the same amount of profit as they now do. This of course is just conjecture on my part.

I used to be employed in a company who refused to provide what they regarded as Company secrets to any of their customers. Requests by customers who requested information not in the instrument manuals were simply told That their manufacturing process is "Proprietary" and this was standard in the industry.

It is precisely because you have your dremmel tool ready and waiting to copy their products that I suspect SR behaves as it does.   I really can't blame them. The other aspect of the SR quandry is that they are always
looking for new materials and technologies to maintain market share. Many  of their new technologies are not understood by most audiophiles. How can a few dots placed on walls affect bass frequencies? There are people whose opinions I trust have tried these little dots and have been impressed by them. I will eventually audition them

I remember whenBowers and Wilkenson (The well known English loudspeaker manufacturer B&W ) marketed their DM 4 loudspeaker decades ago. It was built under license owned by the BBC. This bookshelf loudspeaker had not only a bass/midrange driver but also a "Super Tweeter" that handled the range from above 13 Khz. There was an outcry from members of the audio community who maintained that since human hearing goes up to only about 19Khz, there was no need for a super tweeter. But keen listeners welcomed the super tweeter and claimed that its benefits extended not only to the mid-range, and horror of horrors "THE BASS". Today this is a well known phenomenon and super tweeters are now routinely used with tremendous success.
Nyame wrote,

"
I remember whenBowers and Wilkenson (The well known English loudspeaker manufacturer B&W ) marketed their DM 4 loudspeaker decades ago. It was built under license owned by the BBC. This bookshelf loudspeaker had not only a bass/midrange driver but also a "Super Tweeter" that handled the range from above 13 Khz. There was an outcry from members of the audio community who maintained that since human hearing goes up to only about 19Khz, there was no need for a super tweeter. But keen listeners welcomed the super tweeter and claimed that its benefits extended not only to the mid-range, and horror of horrors "THE BASS". Today this is a well known phenomenon and super tweeters are now routinely used with tremendous success."

You might not remember the Ultra Tweeters but if you are alarmed by or put off by marketing jargon this might be the ticket. The Ultra Tweeters operate at frequencies above 1 GigaHertz only, I.e., they have no output in the audio spectrum. Yet, with the Ultra Tweeters in the room there was considerably better high frequency response with more air and overall dimensionality. They attached to the regular speaker posts and could be placed anywhere that was convenient since they didn't have to be time aligned.