Audio Research LS15 vs. SP14

I’m not sure about the production date for these preamps but they seem to be within the same price range in the used market, basically within a $1200-$1500. All things being equal, which one do you folks prefer in terms of sound quality. I’ll be using it just as a basic preamp with an SS amp, ML Aerius speakers and a CD player so I don’t need a lot of features, just sound quality. Thanks.

Edited to add Audible Illusions Modulus3 as another option although it's priced somewhat lower than the ARC components referenced.

128x128kalali
P.S: Stereophile’s measurements of the output impedance of the Audible Illusions Modulus 3A was around 1800 ohms, presumably at a mid-range frequency and therefore probably higher at some other frequencies. If the Modulus 3 was similar in that respect it would also raise concern about impedance compatibility with some and probably many solid state power amps.

Regards,
-- Al

I had the SP-14 in the system for a number of years before moving up to the REF-3.   The SP-14 is a fine preamp with an excellent phono stage.  I ran it with a number of amps, including an ARC Classic 60, Atmosphere OTL 60 watt mono blocks and even two of Frank Van Alstine's biggest stereo amps bridged.  For the money they bring these days on the used market, I'd consider the SP-14 to be a good choice, especially considering the excellent phono stage that comes with it.
I had an LS-15 for years, then upgraded to an LS-25.  The -15 was a good amp for the price, if not a little sterile and on the cooler side.  It did eat tubes, though, as did my PH-3 Plus.  Annual replacements were a must.
Someone mentioned having an LS15/PH3 combo and that they burned thru tubes at a rapid clip.  I had the same combo for years and never experienced this.