What's going on with the audio market?

Recent retail sales reports are very bad and I am hearing that sales for audio equipment have been nonexistent over the past few months.  I also see more dealers putting items up for sale here and on other outlets.  Even items that have traditionally sold quickly here are expiring without being sold. 

To what would you attribute the slowdown?  Have you changed your buying habits for audio equipment and, if so, why? 
theothergreg
@dgarretson , right you are.
It seems that it is not a problem with your math skills so much as it is a problem with my reading skills.
I read your second number to be how many years have you seriously exercise your purchasing power on audio, not at what age did you start. So change my 27 to a 28. I’ve been playing in the high end for 27 years now, I started at the age of 28.

@jmcgrogan2  what was your system at 16? I ask because I had a complete load of crap at that age...

I am like jmcgrogan2 and am taking money out of the system. I think this is a trend with many aphiles. I just realized most gear is seriously overpriced and getting worse. The shrinking market has caused builders to charge outrageous money for what is actually inside these rectangular boxes. This fact has soured my attitude towards many high end companies and changed how I approach music at home.

The good news is there are a few companies offering gear that sounds fantastic for a fraction of the cost making it possible for me and others to downsize and enjoy the music as much as ever.

For me digital audio has opened my eyes and ears. It is the future and it is very affordable. Computer based servers with Roon & Tidal are absolutely amazing sounding and simple to use finally. Add a Digital amp and room correction and smile big!

Times they are a changing and I do think these small, high end boutique builders will not make it much longer. How can they when one can buy a great sounding one box digital amp with Dac, preamp, room correction etc... for less money than a tube preamp and it actually sounds as good or better than a multi box 120 plus pound ensemble of rectangular boxes.

I'm 40, bought my first real system when I was 14. I'm chasing the rabbit still, lol.
First things first. Enough with the political rants. If you want to talk politics, go to another forum!

The reason the audio market is down is the same reason the music business is down, i.e. saturation. Are there any boomers left that haven't assembled a respectable music system? Sure, there are some and a few millenials that care about audio, but the pie keeps getting smaller. Life moves too fast these days for people to sit and enjoy listening to music. There are too many distractions and they all cost money. People have to make choices about where to spend their money and unfortunately stereo equipment doesn't rank as high on the priority list as it once did. Also, the market for personal listening, i.e. headphones, ipods, has improved and become more affordable-and they're portable (think multi-tasking). Add to that, the prices for truly high-end equipment has hit the stratosphere. So, considering all of the above, are we really surprised?