I'm a Consumer Reports sort of guy. Is there a pla

Being a Consumer Reports sort of person, I was wondering if there is a place( magazine,internet, book, etc ) that reports unbiased info on repair history with regards to the most reliable amps,pre,etc.

Gary
garypic
This reminds me of the time there was a story floating around among my teachers when I was a senior in high school, back in 1978 (god I’m old...).

As they told it Dr. Amar Bose (yes, that Bose) was seated on a flight next to the guy who had started Consumer Report magazine, which had already begun making a bit of a splash for itself in those days. The exchange between the two was said to go something like this: "Consumer Reports is a very helpful, informative publication that actually **serves a public need**." And came the reply: "No, it’s really just **entertainment**".

My teachers were marveling over the fact that the first remark was reportedly made by Dr. Bose (!) and that the latter one was made by the head of Consumer Reports...(!!)

Cheers
I find McIntosh amps and preamps to be very reliable and very good sounding. The only problem I had with a McIntosh amp was that a couple of light bulbs burned out. The amp was over 20 years old and otherwise still played perfectly.
No. For solid-state Pass Labs is tops in its class.
For tubes, Conrad Johnson or Audio Research are tops in their class.
Bryston's 20 year warranty always stood out as the strongest statement in the industry. 
Back in the Dan D. days, I remember driving my Krell amp to their CT facility for repairs, as I lived not far. The reaction was undocumented policy, but basically their team at the time implied that their stuff would always be fixed at no charge. Surely, the new regime doesn't hold that attitude. 
FWIW, although I've heard plenty and owned some Audio Research gear, IME their service / upgrade policies are closer to price gouging than to "tops in their class". There have been plenty of posts here and elsewhere from folks less than pleased with A. R. after they've bought from them. Again, only opinion, but I'd never recommend their gear for purchase unless it was used/depreciated already and I had a service technician that I trust if repairs ever were needed. Cheers,
Spencer