Buying Without Audition

Surely I'm not the only one with the dilemma of living out in the boonies with no audio equipment dealer (other than Walmart) within 100+ miles.  How does one choose among the many speakers offered in any given price range without listening to them before buying?  The reviews are often skewed by self interest and, in any event, what you hear and what you like is completely subjective and the prosaic descriptions in the reviews mean different thing to different people.  After all, you really can't accurately describe in words what someone else might hear. The problem is compounded if you wish to buy "used" from a private party as there often is no right of return, and when there is, the cost of shipping both ways is a significant consideration, especially when looking for floor speakers.

Any educated suggestions?
larstusor
Same here, I'm in a 'no audio' zone. I generally buy used gear, some local and some not. All I've really gained from buying local is saving freight and making sure everything worked- the actual judgement happened at my house in my system. 

This group is generally very helpful and searching the past threads should give you a rough idea of how a product performs and sounds. I've leaned toward products that had consistent themes throughout the threads and have been happy with most purchases. Local or not- I read up, and if I can't get a good gut feel I steer clear.

As some have told you already, if you buy preowned your downside risk is limited. Also, return shipping can be pricey, but it's good option to have if you buy from a dealer. I've read about shows and would love to attend, but have also read the show set ups are not always the best gauge of performance for various reasons. 

My advice is do the research, read and ask. You will generally find more written on products that have been around for a little while.

Good luck,
gary
It's a tough one, but I think the advice so far is quite sound.  Best Buy Magnolia, which is relatively easy to find, carries B&W, Sonus Faber, and Martin Logan.  They also carry McIntosh electronics, so if you find yourself near a Magnolia, you can get a taste for these easy to find and high quality brands.  I suppose if I were you and I had my mind on a particular brand, gearing up for a purchase, I would read every review in print, study the company design philosophy and methodology, and if possible, take a trip to a dealer to listen to a couple of the models.  At that point I would search for a great deal, on agon, or at a dealer, and take the plunge!  Worst case scenario, you'll have to live with them for a while and sell them, hopefully for about what you paid.  Good luck!
Last year I spent several months in my quest to find a new pair of speakers, in my case I live outside two large metropolitan areas.

To me speaker selection involves the most "personal preference".  In my quest, one of the salesmen I encountered asked it I preferred "analytic" or "musical" sounding speakers...I thought about it for a moment, "musical" was my preference.  Interesting to ask that?

I rejected a whole bunch of excellent speakers in the process, just didn't "float my boat".

I've had nothing but great experiences, buying on Audiogon.  Since you won't be paying "retail", most likely you'll be able to try some new speakers out, if they seem to have enough demand, won't lose so much, if you decide to sell them.
Great post ejr, I agree.
That is why I think the OP should try to visit a high end salon or two, in order to get a feel for what he likes.  Reviews and praises from others only go so far when it comes to speakers.
I'm the exception to the other posters, being in a similar situation where there are no local dealers I've repeatedly purchased without audition, and with the exception of  one integrated amp, haven't been disappointed, nor have I found "synergy" to be a problem.

Not saying this is the approach to follow, just saying that haven't personally suffered angst over this.