Buying Without Audition

Surely I'm not the only one with the dilemma of living out in the boonies with no audio equipment dealer (other than Walmart) within 100+ miles.  How does one choose among the many speakers offered in any given price range without listening to them before buying?  The reviews are often skewed by self interest and, in any event, what you hear and what you like is completely subjective and the prosaic descriptions in the reviews mean different thing to different people.  After all, you really can't accurately describe in words what someone else might hear. The problem is compounded if you wish to buy "used" from a private party as there often is no right of return, and when there is, the cost of shipping both ways is a significant consideration, especially when looking for floor speakers.

Any educated suggestions?
larstusor
When I was a lot younger, I visited every shop I could get to to listen to speakers and equipment, so I had a notion of what I liked. 
I think if you are now getting serious with hi fidelity stereo, you should make it a point to go to some audio salons and spend some time getting to know the various makers of equipment. A good dealer will help guide you.
And, not to be patronizing, speakers work as part of a system. The other parts: amps preamps and dacs should be evaluated together with the speakers so you get the sound you are looking for.
When I was a lot younger, and living in or near a city, I did the same thing and became very familiar with the brands and sounds of the time. A lot of sound waves have passed under the bridge since then, and there are so many more products now.  I understand that there is a "systems" approach and the same limitations apply to auditioning preamps/amps and sources. So much to choose from spread out all around different dealers in different cities.  As you know, it is hard to A-B compare components that you hear at different places at different times. This is one of the problems of living out in the country......but I ain't movin' back to town.
Going to shows is good But usually the rooms are not too good. That said if you are looking to replace existing speakers the best thing to do is explain the sound you would like get and what you're looking to change with your existing speakers. Of course most folks will tell you what they own is the best. So take inputs with a grain of salt. Because everyones expectations of what they want to hear is different. But also make sure to mention your current electronics and your room size and speaker placement. 
I bought speakers without an audition since dealer closest to Chicago was in Pennsylvania.  I based my decision on the glowing reviews (many years in the row) as well as the warm natural sound I was looking for.  In addition it was 6 month old dealer demo for a little bit more than half of the price (small reselling loss).  It all ended up good and bad.  Good because speakers are absolutely wonderful and bad because lack of dealership base made manufacturer go bankrupt - hence no support. 
You have to find a way to listen.

Plan a three or four day weekend around attending a show or traveling to a city where there are some dealers.

Good luck!