Subwoofer

A couple of days ago I was talking to a dealer and he said that all speakers benefit from adding a subwoofer. What's are your thoughts? 
ricred1
My "main" speakers are -3dB around mid-40s with a fairly shallow rolloff.  I added subs below 25hz (72dB / oct) using an analog electronic crossover built by an audio designer who knows what they're doing.  Steep cutoff below 10hz.  I built a pair of 12 cu ft cabinets, each housing 1 x 18" Eminence Kilomax driver.  150 watt mono amp per sub.  Corner placement behind the mains. 

Crossover could be higher with a strong likelihood they would interfere with the mains (soundstage, image, details). 

Nice DIY subs.  But they do need a bit of extra power to compensate for their natural rolloff.  (Crossover has an additional response curve to counter the natural driver rolloff in that enclosure.) 

I try really hard to keep from "dropping the needle" when playing vinyl. 

All speakers? That’s a blanket statement which implies the person making the statement has heard all speakers with and without subwoofers.

That said, IME, I have generally preferred systems which properly use a subwoofer than those that do not. However, a poorly implemented subwoofer can do more harm than good.

In my own system, I use a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq subs with the battery biased MHP5 crossovers. I will never let go of these high-value, highly underrated subwoofers, no mater which speakers I will own. My mains extend into the low 30Hz range on their own, but when dialed-in properly, the Vandy subs are simply stunning in their ability to fill out the lowest octave, add depth and width to the soundstage, and produce a wonderful foundation for the rest of the range. YMMV.

bondmanp,
I think what he was saying is, no matter what the listed frequency response of a speaker is, in his experience all speakers benefit from using a sub.
The question is, will spending an equivalent amount on better speakers yield similar results as adding a sub?
The beauty of a subwoofer is in it's ability to be placed in the best location for your room . Your mains are restricted in a fixed immovable location due to a triangle listening setup .
the difficult part of subwoofers is not messing up the upper bass, lower midrange...