Subwoofer

A couple of days ago I was talking to a dealer and he said that all speakers benefit from adding a subwoofer. What's are your thoughts? 
ricred1
..so does Richard Vandersteen, and many, many others.  What you're doing is making your full range speaker and amp work far less without those awful power grubbing lows which are suppiied to the sub.
I never understand those who say it is difficult to incorporate a sub into a two channel system .Or that it is not a purist way . If your speakers do not have at least a ten inch driver why not add a sub . Have restraint when setting it up with volume and crossover and you will never know its there . Now if you have large speakers that go down to say 20 hz then why ? 
I guess I type to fast and didn't proof read what I typed...it should read, "what are you thoughts."

maplegrovemusic,
the dealer provided several examples of speakers that "go down to 20 hz", but benefit from a great sub...Rockport Altair's and Wilson Audio Alexandria XLF's. 

the other issue is whether the money spent on the sub and crossover would be better spent on better speakers. For the Vandersteen example, the 3A Sig + Sub costs the same as the Treo...
Lowest bass string frequency is 41.2Hz.  Lowest piano key is 27.5Hz, but it is seldom used.  My speakers go down to 30Hz.  I would spend money on the sub only for the "Movie Theater" special effects, but it is low priority for me.