Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325
chakster, twice now you've used the term "budged".  First time I thought that was a typo and you intended to say budget.  That is why I suggested Jelco.  And BTW, without checking compliance numbers I did use a couple of Grados and possibly a Shure or Stanton in my Premier FT-3 without issue.  All that was several years ago.  Anyway, I don't know what budged means.

But now you speak of Reed, Schick, EPA-100 and 100 Mk 2.  None of those are budget arms.  There was an EPA-100 Mk 2 on Ebay not long ago for around $1,800.  Your situation may be different than mine but I would not consider that a budget arm.

Hello all - Chakster mentioned the Stax UA-7, which I'm currently using with a handful of different cartridges whilst mounted on a TD-124.  It's geometry is a bit unusual, putting the inner null point substantially inside even the Stevenson solution (at 56mm), even though it has a longish (for a "9-inch" arm) 240mm effective length.  I like this tonearm's general design and versitility, the low pivot friction, the consistency of its anti-skate mechanism, the graceful aesthetic, and the overall quality of fit and finish.  I'm consistently happy with the sound quality from a wide variety of different cartridges.  But I've never understood why they chose the geometry they did . . . mainly because I have yet to find a record that has modulation so close to the center as to justify it.

In exploring other geometries, my main fork in the road was whether or not the stock 20-degree offset is to be observed . . . and if this is the case, one cannot pull the inner null point toward the outside of the record without also pushing the outer null point towards the center, and if the tracking error is to be kept fairly constant at the outside of the record, then there must be a corresponding increase in both the effective length and the mounting distance.  If one alters the offset, then it's possible to move the null points both further apart and further away from the center . . . that is, towards the Baerwald solution.

I personally consider the act of changing tonearm geometry in the same vein as that of all equipment modifications . . . it's worth it to the extent that one is solving specific issues with a reasonable amount of elegance and precision.  But there's a point after where a certain amount change starts to fly in the face of the original design, and then you have to ask yourself . . . "If I'm changing it this much, do I really like this thing enough to own it in the first place?"  On tonearm geometry, it's obviously a matter of degrees (couldn't resist the pun) . . . 

I ended up mounting it at the stock mounting distance from the spindle . . . I wanted to try the stock geometry out of respect for the designers and so I could thoroughly correlate the sound with my own preconceptions of what the "correct" geometry should be.  I've found that it leaves little to be desired with elliptical and spherical styli (i.e. Shelter 501 and Denon carts), and it also sounds great with an integrated-style headshell for B&O cartridges (MMC20CL and rebuilt MMC6000) . . . the latter with a custom lighter counterweight, which combined with the headshell, gives an appropriate reduction on mass for the higher compliance cartridges.

For the fancier MCs (Cadenza Bronze and Delos) I've pulled the overhang up to 15.5 mm and the offset to 21.7 degrees (2.5mm and 1.7 degrees from stock) - this is a solution "in the Baerwald direction", and the results are outstanding.  I arrived at this by playing with the fit of a few cartridges in the stock headshell, and coming to the conclusion that there was only so much extra mounting room before it really started to "feel wrong" and become a decidedly inelegant setup.  I do understand the concern that altering the overhang creates a variation of azimuth with vertical deflection of the tonearm, but when you actually see it in practice, 1.7 degrees is extremely small to affect this compared to the length of the arm and the deflection of a moderate record warp.

I will echo the sentiment that whatever the geometry is chosen, precise alignment is an absolute must.  I'm very much an arc-protractor guy, and I have them made as required for every turntable/tonearm geometry solution I set up.  My approach is to calculate the geometry with an Excel spreadsheet, generate an HPGL file using my PC-board design software that has the appropriate arc placement and null points, and have them machined to order by Front Panel Express, usually for about $30 apiece.  I verify the spindle-to-pivot distance on existing mountings usually with a 12" dial caliper and a bit of basic math . . . for new mountings I have a variety of dummy tonearm posts machined locally, combined with the caliper and/or mounting-distance bars/plates sourced locally or from Front Panel Express.

The key to precise alignment is to use methods that allow each dimension or angle to be verified against each other, to make sure your measurement techniques properly fit the specific hardware, and to understand what the required tolerances are for each dimension.  Being a mm away from perfect on the spindle-to-pivot is VERY different from being a mm off on the overhang.
@pryso you're right, forgive my english. I believe any tonearms under $1500 considering a budget arms in hi-end business. Vintage Stax and Denon from Raul's list cost only $500-700 normally which is really cheap. Ebay is not the right place for vintage japanese stuff (tonearms or cartridges) imho.

I'm looking for light effective mass vintage tonearm for second system for high compliance mm cartridges. 

I already have Reed 3p for mid compliance carts and Schick for very low compliance cartridges.  

dover: """   do you have right now on hand the 505?

If yes just try Baerwald or Löfgren alignment changing the P2S distance from Stevenson. Then listen and listen in between ( B, L and S alignments. ) and return here to share your experiences there.

If not, your post is useless and futile this time. """

That's what I posted and ask to you looking for your in focus/precise answer or answers and this is what you answered:

"""  You are wrong again.
I own a Dynavector DV501 ....."""

I can't see why I'm wrong because I'm not saying you don't own a Dyna tonearm and things are that you own the 501 that shares exactly the same geometry design than the 505. Where is the problem because my question was very specific for the 505 or the 501 that is similar.

Instead to give a in focus answer your first sentence was trying to disregards ( as always with no single real contribution. ) mine but things are that in that same sentence who is wrong is you. Go figure!

Now, instead to say something in direct reference to my questioning post you followed your starting sentences with a " history/tale " that has no apparent reason to do it other that try to justify your self in some way ( what did you try to justify with that " tale "?. ). Has no sense to me that history that I really don't care because don't gives  any " light " in my questioning to you.

Never mind, I really don't care about your answers about because you have no real and serious answers.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
chakster, with apologies to the OP for this sidetrack I will offer arm suggestions specifically for high compliance cartridges as all were introduced during their peak popularity (no particular order).
-  Infinity/ADC
-  Mayware Formula IV or others in this series (I adapted one to an AR-XA table)
-  SME 3009 Series III