Parasound Halo JC-1 for Thiel CS 5i

Hi,

I have a set of Thiel CS5i's that I am running with a W4S ST1000 amp.

Would Parasound Halo JC-1 mono amps be an improvement? Why?

Thanks,

Dsper

dsper
Not sure that anyone cares but I took the ML 433 back to my dealer and he loaned me a Pass X350 that has new caps. In my opinion much better than the ML 433.

Bass may not be quite as tight as the ML 433 but the Pass has a nicer, sweeter high end with better decay and deeper sound stage - at least in my set up. Also the Pass is warmer. Finally, the Pass sounded effortless at high volumes compared to the ML.

This may be the difference between 200 watts and 350 watts into 8 ohms.

So, I rank them with the Thiel cs5's:
1. Pass
2. ML
3. W4S
4. Parasound A21

And it looks like I have a lot more to check into before I decide on this.

Dsper
As an owner of Thiel cs 5i, I have driven them with parasound amp. The sound is dry and anemic until I substitute them with krell ksa 250 . I started to like them.  Add a tube preamp , it is unbelievable!!!! at 1 ohm , the krell put out 2000 watt!!!!! It makes the  theil sings. 
I certainly care- dsper.

I, too, am in a similar situation as you, my audiophile friend.
My short-list also has both Pass Labs & ML gear.

I will consider older gear as skfy57 suggested.

Keep me posted and Happy Listening!

Last week we had a very enjoyable day up in the mountains trying different things on Ed (Edgar)Krammer’s (reviewer for 6 moons, Australian hifi and Audio Esoterica) system which consists of an AMR CD-777 flagship CDP a pair of Parasound JC1’s and a pair of Wilson Alexia’s.

Preamps we had on hand were Supratek Grange, Nuforce all discrete flagship Reference P20, and a passive preamp.

All were used via the rca inputs on the JC1’s as we were only using 2mt interconnects and also didn’t want the extra circuitry of balanced inculded the signal path, as the AMR is tube output and TDA1541 convertor and therefore really single ended anyway even though I think it has token balanced outputs.

The one that came out on top was the passive, by quite a margin, for top to bottom transparency, dynamics, drive, and top (delicacy) to bottom (tight) extension.

The JC1’s controlled those hard to drive Alexia’s like they were born for it, with the extended Class A switched to on they were delicate, sweet and extended when needed, holographic midrange with real body to it, and controlled slamming subterranean bass to the depths of the earth.

.Cheers George

Here is my latest critique of my in home auditions of stereo amps with Thiel CS5's. I use a Prima Luna Dialogue Premium Preamp, Cullen interconnects, and a Rich Schultz modified Oppo105. Not running vinyl right now.

The Thiels are three feet from the facing wall, ten feet apart, two feet plus and four feet plus from side walls. I am sitting 10 - 11 feet away from the speakers with 15 feet behind me.

Pass X350 - most weight but not the best bass. Detailed and nuanced but slightly polite. Sweet high end

Krell Evolution 302 - Compared to Pass - slightly less weight with more forward/presence, tighter bass, just as detailed but with less nuance, Sweet midrange. BUT Hiss through speakers. I could live with the Krell except for the speaker hiss.

Hegel H20 - less weight compared to the first two but good bass. Lots of detail but slightly congested. Warm but not sweet. less presence than the Krell

Proceed HPA2 - Less weight than the first two, in your face, edgy treble, pretty good bass, misses some of the detail

Still have not heard one, but am thinking about pulling the trigger on a McCormack amp. Would cost less than the Pass or Krell.

Any further comments?

Dsper