Opinions Needed!

Here is the scenario: my secondary system consists of a Rogue Cronus Magnum 100wpc tube integrated amp, a pair of Golden Ear Triton Two speakers, a Sony HAPZ1ES Music Server, a Magnum Dynalab MD90 Tuner and a Sony SCD777ES SACD player. I also have all the audiophile approved connectors, power cords and power conditioners. I like the sound of this system very much, but I am not too thrilled with the bass control of the amp to speakers.

I listen to this system at least 8 hours a day, every day of the year. In the 1 1/2 years of ownership of the tube integrated, I have re-tubed the amp twice to the tune of 450.00 each time(some nos tubes and all purchased from Upscale Audio). The cost of the tubes is killing me!

I have been thinking of replacing the Cronus Magnum with a Parasound Halo Integrated Amp which is solid state and 160wpc. I like the idea of tone controls and the generous amount of inputs on the Halo and all the reviews have been glowing. I also like the idea of the built in ESS Dac as my Sony SACD player is getting long in the tooth and could benefit from the newer dac. I am driving to the closest dealer this coming Saturday to audition one and may be bringing one home with me.

If it weren't for the price of re-tubing, I would keep the Cronus Magnum as I can live with the bass not being as controlled as I would like. I think the Halo will be better able to control the bass. My question is, good move or bad move? I know this is a sideways step, but I really can't afford to keep buying tubes!

I doubt I will sell the Cronus Magnum, my plan is to rotate it in and out of the system when I need my tube fix.

Thoughts?

Thanks

128x128stereo5
If you listen to it that much, tubes are not too expensive as a ratio to listening time.  If you like the tube sound that much it will likely be a problem going solid state at some point, sooner or later.  

I shouldn't have mentioned the bass as it really isn't a big deal.  The main reason is the cost of re-tubing.  Here is the breakdown:

4 Tung Sol KT-120 tubes cryoed                 232.00

2 Mullard reissue 12au7 tubes cryoed          66.00

1 RCA Cleartop 12au7 tube (preamp)          45.00

2 Svetlana 12ax7 tubes  cryoed                    66.00                

TOTAL     409.00

I stand corrected on the price, not 450.00.   The only nos tube is the RCA cleartop and thats only 20.00 more than a decent 12au7 tube.

I tried KT-88, KT-77 and EL-34 output tubes and I liked the KT-120 tubes best.  The sound of my amp totally influences the entire sound of the Triton 2 speakers, even though the woofers are powered.

Yes, this is a lot of use for my secondary system as my computer is in the same room and I work in my office where the system resides.  My main system gets little use, perhaps 2 times a month and only for a few hours.

Not interested in any of the Rogue hybrid amps, not a fan of class D and wouldn't even consider it.  For me it's class a/ab all the way.

I will be trying a loaner in my system but I wanted opinions if I am sacrificing too much for the sake of the cost of the tubes.

I owned a pair of Triton 2's and the bass was way too much for my room until I installed bass traps and then it was under control. I used a 6 watt tube amp to power them and they sounded very good. I currently use a David Berning designed amp and am hooked for life. If I were looking for an amp for those speakers I would look at the ZOTL 10, the tubes will last 10,000 hours or as he says 10 - 20 years under normal use.
http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/#home 
There are many other high-end tube dealers other than Upscale Audio.
That's an expensive RCA Cleartop; they are one of the most affordable tubes.

It seems to me that Golden Ear need to do something about the impedance issue with the powered bass portion of this speaker such that it is more friendly towards tube amplification. Based on what I read, and what I heard at one time in a dealership when this speaker was driven by a Macintosh tube amp in a large room that this speaker represents great value.