Just how great is Elvis Costello

Just got thru listening to Secret, Profane and Sugarcane for the umpteenth time and just sat back in awe and you know this album is in the running with at least 5 of his other albums as my favorite Elvis album. I guess my point is I have over the last 10 years became so conscious of what a treasure he is and really didn't give home the credit he deserves and would like to now. Every album is so different and he will take you down the road he wants you to travel.
tooblue
Hi pops;

Granted these albums focus on the early, angry young man, but I still find EC's first three albums all from the late 70's to be his best ... 'My Aim is True', 'This Year's Model', and 'Armed Forces'.  If you like these three albums, then "Blood and Chocolate' may be one to sample,  After that, I can suggest 'Secret, Profane & Sugarcane' from about 6 years ago.  

Rich 

I like that he does so many different things.  I especially like the tunes he wrote with McCartney--strongly reminiscent of early Beatles yet with their own style and flavor.  You can find them on youtube if nowhere else.
I also prefer Elvis's earlier stuff. While not as consistent as his first three albums, I would include "Get Happy" and "Trust" in my go-to EC selections.

I began to lose interest in the "Imperial Bedroom", "Punch the Clock", and "Goodbye Cruel World" era, and I'm way overdue in acquainting myself with his more recent offerings.   
Pops, I also was one of those that didn't get EC and just kind of brushed his music off but my love for T Bone Burnett drew me to him and I purchased the King of America and struggled with that album for the first few listening and then it seemed to click and I was hooked. I still don't get all his music but My Aim is True, Delivery Man, Secrets, Profane and Sugar Cane and The River In Reverse just move me each differently.

I loved his first album, which I bought as a British import upon it’s initial release. I then liked his second, but didn’t really care for The Attractions. Steve’s piano playing is far too busy for my taste (too many single notes and "tinkling", not enough chords), and the drummer is typically British---not a "pocket" player, instead playing "on top" of the music. The third album I could never get into, and Costello’s ever-increasing vibrato was starting to annoy me. That vibrato is now, imo, completely over-the-top, way overused and excessive.

He then starting doing "theme" albums---a Country music one, a Soul music one, both of which revealed him to be a sincere fan of the music, but a not-particularly distinguished purveyor of it. He's no George Jones or Hank Williams, nor Sam Cooke or Otis Redding. I pretty much lost all interest in him after that. Yup, he’s a talented guy, but the only album of his I kept when weeding out my music collection recently was the King Of America album, his least "British" sounding---no surprise there!

I had a good friend (R.I.P.) who was an excellent songwriter, and a big fan of Brian Wilson and Bob Dylan. I played him the first album, and he didn’t get it. I moved to L.A. in ’79, not seeing him again until the mid-2000’s. By that time, Costello had become his favorite contemporary Pop writer, and he actually said to me "Who needs Brian and Bob when you have Costello?". Then I played him Bob’s Love And Theft album, and he got the answer---HE did!