Is there Really a difference between a Krell 400xi intergrated amp and the newer Vandgard?

I currently own a Krell 400xi intergrated amp. It has 200 watts a 750k toroidal, balanced inputs, etc. Its very similar to the current vanguard intergrated amp in terms of similar spec's. I would like to know if anyone upgraded and if it was worth it? Is the sound different does it go lower, deeper, more of an open sound stage or should I just consider another route to improve what I already have.

thanks,

matt00
Drum roll please....The Vanguard is the winner by a huge margin!  I intended to keep the 400xi for a second system but it had a low level him in one channel and a higher noise floor than I remembered.  That said, the Vanguard immediately strikes me as far more dynamic, open and refined.  Very much like a cleaner FPB300CX amp.  The 400xi seems anemic and flat comparatively.  Clean and clear but lighter in it's presentation.  Bass is phenomenal through the Vanguard and delivers better solidity to images.  So, for integrated bliss, the Krell Vanguard delivers one sweet sonic treat!

FYI, getting a Krell Cipher next week...I will post.  May pick up a pair of cherry Krell Resolution 2 speakers as well.  Had a pair a few years ago and miss their full bodied take on my CD collection.  Stay tuned!

I have a close friend who has been using a Krell integrated amp for about 15 years, and he recently decided to replace it. He asked for my input about which integrated amps might best suit his needs (MartinLogan speakers; large, high ceiling room with mostly hard surfaces; etc.). I spent a couple of days of research and put together a list of possible choices in the $5k-$10k range. After my friend evaluated the units on the list (which included Krell, Pass Labs, Bryston, Classe, and several others), he chose the Hegel H360 integrated. I think his choice was a good one, and you might want to place it on your audition list.
@dave_b Just wondering if the 400xi, which is obviously a much older amp, had low level hum and a high noise floor perhaps it needed to be recapped? Or at least gone over by a tech? I realize you got it just for the shootout and might not care to go to the trouble, but sounds like it wasn't performing up to spec possibly.