best bookshelf speakers for < $2000?

I have Studio-20 V5s on stands right now for my living room 2.0 music system and, while I like the sound, I need more bass extension.
I don't want to add a sub due to room clutter concerns.   So, I am looking fro an upgrade from my Studio20s.
I have been looking into towers but now am thinking, why not stay with sand-mounted speaker since I have the stands already.   This is for 2ch music only.  My amp is Emotiva UPA-2 SS amp.

Would I do better to go towers or go higher-end bookshelf speakers?

The towers I've been looking at have been 
Salk SongBirds/Towers
Ascend Sierra Tower
Silverline Prelude Plus

Thx.
albireo13
I had the studio 10 V5s.  To bright and no bass extension. I ended up with the Ascend Sierra 1s. Terrific detailed highs with no fatiguing like the studios 10s. The bass extends low and is clean and deep. NO SUB NEEDED AT ALL.  The looks and build quality on these IMO are superior to the paradigms in every way.  Im using vintage mcintosh  ss gear.I also prefer the older paradigms v3 and earlier.
You mentioned the Ascend Sierra Towers, so I'd recommend you take a look at the Sierra 2 stand mounts.  I have them in a room larger than yours and the bass is quite good.  The RAAL tweeter is excellent.

I just worked with a couple of guys who had the same question and a similar budget.  You really should add the Vandersteen 2's or even the 1's to your list. I personally went to towers years ago as the physical limitation of any stand mount speaker is not going to give you true bass. It can be tuneful and make you feel like you are getting some bass, but once you hear a near full range speaker you realize you want that extra octave that you can afford. The footprint is the same as most stand mounted speakers and the old line of a stand mount gives you better imaging, sound staging etc... is just plain wrong now days.  Obviously listening is your best bet, but there is a reason the Vandersteen line is one of the most popular of all time in your range.  The new upgrades to the 1,2 and 3's make them one of the most listenable speakers on the market at their price range.  The just don't smear the sound and with the new drivers they make, they are as fast as nearly anything on the market.  If you like that ribbon tweeter, then go listen for an extended period with the type of music you listen to.  Many of us don't like the less expensive ribbons as they can often be tipped up a db or two at the top end and it's not a cohesive sound.  Often the cost of a driver at that price range just can't match the speed of the tweeter and over time you may not like it. Many in this thread will swear by the sound and that's cool as we all listen differently.  

The thing I like a about the Vandersteen and a few others is that they sound better and better with better source and amplification. Not all speakers will sound that much different with better quality upstream.  Again, like anyone else it's just my opinion, but again, I can't be alone as they sell like hotcakes compared to most speakers in their ranges.  Good luck.