best bookshelf speakers for < $2000?

I have Studio-20 V5s on stands right now for my living room 2.0 music system and, while I like the sound, I need more bass extension.
I don't want to add a sub due to room clutter concerns.   So, I am looking fro an upgrade from my Studio20s.
I have been looking into towers but now am thinking, why not stay with sand-mounted speaker since I have the stands already.   This is for 2ch music only.  My amp is Emotiva UPA-2 SS amp.

Would I do better to go towers or go higher-end bookshelf speakers?

The towers I've been looking at have been 
Salk SongBirds/Towers
Ascend Sierra Tower
Silverline Prelude Plus

Thx.
albireo13

Showing 6 responses by albireo13

Right now the room is 14' x 30'but, we plan to sell and downsize this year so room will be smaller
I've decided to focus on upgrading my amp for now.  
We plan to sell the house and move this year so the living room size/situation will change quite a bit. I'll wait for that to settle out before upgrading my speakers.

Update:
  I replaced my amp with a Nuprime IDA8 integrated amp.  It sounds great and I love the internal DAC.  Much more compact system now.
They only go to 100W/8ohms.  I am now looking towards efficient speakers to replace my Studio-20s.

Its tough.   There are so many speaker companies out there that it makes me dizzy.  I bout my Studio20s after listening them at a shop.  It was the first hogh quality store I had visited and they sounded the best in my budget.  
So really, I dont know if I am missing something compared to other speakers.  
Well I think I will stick with bookshelf speakers. I will likely end up in a smaller room and think I can get te more articulate, intimate sound from bookshelves. 
My budget is $2000  my short list includes: 
Nola Boxer 2
Sierra-2
Vapor Breeze
Salk 1801

Any other good suggestions?