Marantz

Guys-

anyone here using a Marantz SACD player? Specifically, the special or limited editions?
jafant

I've have the Marantz SA-15S2b and really like what I hear with it. I didn't know a SACD player could make redbook sound so much better than on a regular CD player.

Before the Marantz, I had a Consonance CD player that played just standard redbook (no over/upsampling) and thought the world of it, but the Marantz had much deeper and better articulated bass, richer (more fuller and developed)  mids, and extended highs. All of it amounted to greater presence.

Before anyone flames about streaming and that the CD is dead, the best digital I've heard was a few shows ago at Newport and it was in the MSB room when I listened to what I thought was the best PC audio at the show and it was "just" a CD playing. One can go on and on about the limitations of CD and what can go wrong but it doesn't mean that it necessarily will go wrong.

Luddite that I am, I'll eventually dip my toes in the PC water, but as for now.....

All the best,

Nonoise

I have two Marantz SACD players, the 11s! in one system and the flagship 7s1 in my main system.  I've had both for several years.  Obviously, I've been happy with them.  One thing I would suggest is that you upgrade the fuses in either player.  It made a big difference for me in the focus and breath of the soundstage.  As others have said, Marantz gives you a full rich sound and a player that is built like the proverbial tank.
The Marantz Reference players are special. I've had my SA-7S1 for a LOT longer than I've owned any other previous digital player. As others have stated, if you're looking for a sharp, hyper-detailed sound, look elsewhere. But if you want a player that gets all the fundamentals of the music right, and presents them in an amazingly coherent, musical whole, then the Reference players are an excellent choice, particularly on the used market.

Oh, and lest you think these players aren't detailed, rest assured: they deliver BOATLOADS of detail--but that delivery is so natural and so relaxed (in a good way) that it makes many other comparable players sound forced and hurried.

The fuse suggestion is a good one; it does make a significant difference. And these players, though built like the proverbial Panzer, do respond well to quality isolation.
I'd also like to add that I replaced the fuses in both my Marantz Reference integrated and SACD player and it does make a difference, for the better.

All the best,
Nonoise

Much Thanks! guys.

I concur as above, the CD, is not dead.  I wanted to get a census on wether or not you guys like the Limited/Special Editions, that are made every so many years, by chief designer Ken Ishiwah.