Is the main reason audio equipment depreciates so much is

1.Because technology is always changing and people always want the latest and greatest.
2.It is expensive to repair when it breaks.
3.It has always depreciated a lot since the inception and that is just the pattern it has always stayed in.
4.It is overpriced to begin with.

taters
"The dealer actually makes in the industry trunk money."
Well I'll be go to Hell, I didn't know that--thanks, Taters. 

Yeah, I would not be too impressed with the expensive cables these days, not with the quality of DIY parts out there.  Anyone can now use OCC wire for any application.  If Transparent et al cannot divulge the type of wire they use, why spend that much? 

Yes, I went to order a second power cord to find out that the price was now double for the same cord!!!? There went the "loom" idea for that cable company.

There's a lot of this going on, but it's not everywhere. There is actually expensive gear out there that's worth it. It depends on who makes it and the channels that it goes through.

For example, there are some passionate audiophile engineers out there building their own brilliant stuff one piece at a time. Most of these folks are just getting by or doing okay, but they love what they do. They are not raking it in, even though they're delivering hi-end goods at hi-end prices. For instance, having just one quality chassis built, because you only have one amp to build right now, can be a major cost factor that leads to escalated pricing.

Of course, this does not explain why the big companies with much higher production and reduced costs, charge so much or as much.

Maybe, the big company's product got an "A" rating in that mainstream publication. Of course, advertising in that publication can cost them a bunch, right?

"the main reason audio equipment depreciates so much is"

Any question of this nature about ANYTHING can be answered with Supply vs Demand.

There is more used audio gear than used audio gear buyers.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you audiophiles who continue to buy new and sell your used gear in your never ending search for audio nirvana. Keep on churning baby. Keep on churning. I will be here to buy your hand-me-downs.
Definitely #4, over-priced to begin with. I offer the following example(s) as proof.

Consider the following brands of audio equipment, all of which I have. What is interesting to note is that not only do the manufacturers of these items claim they are directly comparable to equivalent products made by other manufacturers that charge many times (as much as 10X in certain cases) as much, but numerous professional and average Joe audiophile reviews also agree that their value is simply outstanding. 

Not in any particular order:

Emotive
GoldenEar
Musical Fidelity