Omega, Harbeth, JM Reynaud, ad Skylan

On a previous post I asked for thoughts regarding Harbeth and JM Reynaud speakers.  My subsequent speaker upgrade journey led me to discover Omega speakers, and specifically the Super Alnico Monitor.  I took the plunge, taking advantage of Omega's 30-day home trial.  So here is my update.

These speakers are now a permanent addition to my system and my musical enjoyment.  I am so thoroughly satisfied. While break-in took a good 100 hrs, the sound of these Omega Super Alnico Monitors is beyond reproach. Every day my wife and I are amazed at what we hear when we put on an old cd that we haven't listened to in a while. I have had several audiophile friends come over for auditions (folks with NHT XRS system, the new big JansZens, Vandy 2s and 3s) and to a person they cannot believe the level of detail, sound staging, spaciousness, and just overall great sound these speakers produce. And when I point out they go for $2K, their jaws really drop. I made one additional tweak to the system and got dedicated Skylan stands. The addition of the stands, and a bit less toe-in (as some Omega users have posted) seemed to really put everything in place.   The combination of these speakers and stands goes for less than $2,500, and I encourage anyone looking for new speakers in this price range to seriously consider the Omega's.

Are these the best thing since sliced bread? No, they do not do everything, nor would I expect them to, but I also have that same feeling for all other modestly priced speakers ($5K or less, can't believe I consider $5K as being modest).  But to my ears, these speakers are 95%+ of the way there. Is this a speaker I can and will live with happily ever after?  YES.  While I will still read all the high end mags, all the various audio websites, go to AXPONA, and regularly visit my local shops, I am done speaker shopping. Now I am just enjoying the music, which is really my ultimate goal.

Finally, I am still intrigued by all the Omega owners who rave about the combination of Omega speakers and SET amps. While my tube/SS hybrid integrated sounds great with these speakers, I am really curious about what improvement, if any, a low watt SET might provide.  Maybe that will be my next audio journey.

Finally, I would like to give a shout out to Loius Chochos of Omega  and Noel Noland of Skylan.  Louis has been a real pleasure to interact with, his customer service is nothing short but outstanding, and the quality of his product is absolutely first rate.  In a similar light, I have the same high regard for Noland ad the Skylan stands.  Dealing with both gentlemen was an unexpected pleasure in this day and age.  Thank you both.  And thank you for your fantastic products (Louis, your speakers do live up to the accolades presented by others on the Omega User's Circle website).

Final score:  Omega Super Alnico Monitors + Sylan Stands = about $2,500.  The Harbeth 30.1 monitors I was going to get would have been $5,600 (new, around $4K used), plus about $400 for stands.  Total savings for me = about $3,500!!!!  Even if I get a new SET integrated amp, I am still looking at $2,000 or more left over from my budget for new music!  

ihor
Not at the same time. But both were auditioned in my home with the same system and acoustics.  Obviously the Omega's won!
Louis is a great guy and all etc, I have some Omega 3XRS with RS5 drivers.
Very good on vocals and small jazz groups , fair at best on Symphonic music where Harbeths are good . Harbeths are better and not by a little bit as they should be with the price gap . 
The Super Alnico Monitors are really good on symphonic music (to which I listen quite a lot). They are easily as good as the Harbeth 30.1s from what I remember from my auditions. Massed  strings and brass in particular are very well and clearly conveyed. They certainly can't recreate a symphony like the big B&Ws, Sonus, Harbeth 40.1s and others can, but I don't recall hearing a monitor similar in size to the SAMs do any better. and certainly not at the SAMs cost.  They convey the startle factor of many Telarc recordings amazingly so.
I don't have the Super Alnico model - wish I did.  I own a pair of original Hemptones in Makarssar Ebony.  (After they shipped - over 10 years ago - Louis told me mine are the first production pair).  I agree with the OP on break-in time - minimum 50 hours before they start to sound good, but after 100 hours they are sublime. I listen to they every day and wouldn't part with them.  
I've been living with Omega xrs's with the rs5 drivers now for a couple of years.  After going on a bit of a speaker merry go round these really did it for me and even today I marvel at their sound.  They replaced Harbeth's and Kef LS 50's.  I don't miss them a bit.  I've drive them with a variety of tube amps which really lets them shine.

I put in an order for the Alnico monitors recently.  It'll be fun to see how they compare to the rs5's.