Tonearm recommendation

Hello all,
Recently procured a Feickert Blackbird w/ the Jelco 12 inch tonearm.
The table is really good, and its a keeper. The Jelco is also very good, but not as good as my Fidelity Research FR66s. So the Jelco will eventually hit Ebay, and the question remains do I keep the FR66s or sell that and buy something modern in the 5-6 K range. My only point of reference is my old JMW-10 on my Aries MK1, so I don't know how the FR66s would compare to a modern arm. So I'd like to rely on the collective knowledge and experience of this group for a recommendation.

Keep the FR66s, or go modern in the 5-6K range, say a Moerch DP8 or maybe an SME.

Any and all thoughts and opinions are of course much appreciated.

Cheers,      Crazy Bill
wrm0325

You know, during my Audiophile Turntable Bedlam phase -
I found differences between idler, belt, thread and DD in my room.

Halcro - And you don’t find that concerning?
Please explain to me what a cartridge knows about ’drive-type’?

C’mon Henry, don’t you remember Goldilocks and the Three Tables !

https://goo.gl/photos/doHmVDbzSDaEHMqh9

You know I remember you gave me some really nice feedback on my system thread about the review ?
Let me go try to dig up some info. Unfortunately this new A’gon format conversion has has not been completed to the virtual pages.
I did a search for Goldilocks.
Here it is.

Hi Chris,
I really enjoyed reading your Goldilocks and the three turntables.
You have reached some informative opinions after conducting thorough and useful in-loci experimentation.
I value your methodology and the conclusions you have assembled here.
Regards
Henry
halcro June 21, 2012 07:03

You may see the review again for the details you are looking for. It’s all there.

The pic I linked in my google is one of 39 on my new AudioGon virtual system slide show. A picture of Goldilocks is there too :^)
You know, that was some crazy shite (sic) back then.....
I mean since I consider myself a full time music lover, and only part time audiophile.
So I agree with you Henry - it was very concerning but relatively safe. Safer than racing anyway. It was therapeutic, took my mind off of some bad stuff that was happening during those times.

@Nandric
re: your comment to Stringreen

Now considering your violin ’’argument’’. I never understood why all those composers wrote for this anemic, shrill and shabby
looking and sounding instrument in any orchestra? As you confessed yourself the ’’thing’’ sounds different everywhere
and even under your own chin.

lol - looking forward to Stringeen’s response.

Nandric
One should listen to the guitar music instead. The strings are fast the fundamentals as easy to hear as the
harmonics an ideal instrument to judge any system. Even better to judge carts.

Nicola - so what happens to your carts after they have been judged ?

Very good to hear you are doing well.... like my Slivovitch. (grin)

@Crazy Bill - regarding headphones.
I am about to turn 54 next month. Have had my own space for listening since I was a kid (bedroom) I still remember my first TT in there. Think I was 12? A heavy white kenwood. marbly looking thing with a belt like my mom’s hoover. I think I tried to swap them one time. anyway. no headphone use. had a pair. Didn’t like them. Koss?
When I met my wife she moved in with me and and we used to entertain so the gear was always there in front. No headphones yet.
In ’94 our fraternal twins were born and I really did try headphones and wanted them to work. I really wanted them to work ! !
No luck. So I started building out the 1st panic room in our basement.

Cheers

Even Crazier Chris :^)

Dear Chris, You  provoke me with your Slivovitz I provoke

Stringreen with his violin. No disputes without provocation

and no intersting discussion without disputes.

BTW what kind of (ex) Balkanese are you when you don't

drink this stuff (aka ''plum brandy'') ?

Dear wrm0325: """  I won't respond to his gibberish in the hopes he just goes away. """

That has no sense because was you who ask and made me specific question and in my last post to you I try to gave a wide explanation for each one of your question and now you posted that????

Make sense to you?, maybe your moniker is not really a moniker.

In the way that a shooter wears his weapons you know if it's Billy The Kid and you want to be a shooter but things are that you have not weapons: go figure!

It's obvious that if any one like you ask through a thread for help ( like you. ) is because you are not prepared and have not the knowledge level to take the right choice for your self and this talks per se that you are not only over the average step in the ladder audio knowledge lever but way down that average step . At least is what you already showed here as other gentlemans in the thread.

Nothing wrong with that, sooner or latter you will learn. Have faith on that.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
There is a world of difference between the SFP-1 in any version and my unit, the Phono 1. In addition, I have the SE+ upgrades, which includes new PS lytics, new Vishay resistors, and New V-Cap TFTF and OIMP coupling caps.

It appears my budget has been increased to the 10K area, so I'm sure this is going to murky the waters somewhat.

I had the Sonic Frontiers Phono 1 and I put every shade of lipstick on that Pig and even sent to Chris Johnson for cosmetic surgery with every upgrade possible. Countless dollars spent, dozens of tubes rolled and in the end, it still was a just a Pig.

With a budget of $10K, I would highly recommend investing some of that money into a new phono stage as that will give you a greater return on sound improvement than changing out the excellent FR66s.

Hello Testpilot,
I am keeping the FR66s, and I do like my SF. But I'm always willing to try other things. I've got a Fully balanced op-amp kit from Twisted Pear in house that I'll be building w/ battery PS when I find the time to do that.

Got any recommendations on a different riaa. As long as I've got an audition period w/ return, I'll try anything reasonable.

thanks,                     Crazy Bill