Honesty of the Reviewers

How honest you think the reviewers are? How often you see them saying one component is not good, most of time they will say this is the one of the best..... And you think when they say "I like it so I buy it." is more like " I get it free from the manufactor"?
bigboy
As a professional who has spent more than 20 years in the news business including more than a few of those at major national news organizations
Over 20 years ago I stepped onto the Liberal Land of Free that became gradually Home of the Slave just like it used to be...

Back to the topic: 

An English language, by it's not so nice nature, has many words that pronounced one way, but spelled different. I also noticed that not only words pronounced different ways, but phrases also!

You Pronounce: Professional Review -- You Spell: Advertising!

I also have a HUGE list of such phrases that designed to mask truth by being pronounced DIFFERENT, but will probably just say that:

Tomorrow is another New Year and let it be Happy for everyone and let it be tomorrow -- not yesterday and not 20 years ago! CHEERS!

Many years ago I worked at a high-end shop and we had a number of bookshelf speakers in the $700 or so a pair price range.  One of the major audio publications of the time gave a glowing review of a pair in that range from a major manufacturer which were well made, but we never sold them after demonstrating speakers from other manufacturers in that same price range, not a single pair.  I suspected that, when a manufacturer is spending significant amounts on advertising with a publication/website, that might be sufficient "persuasion" to generate positive reviews.

I will second Plato's response. Several things seem inescapable when you consider this question dispassionately:

1) Good reviews matter a lot to manufacturers and they will do all they can to avoid bad ones, which do more harm than a good review, benefits.

2) It follows they will not give kit for  a review, if they aren't sure of a glowing response.

3) Reviewers and editors know this perfectly well, so they won't publish a bad review.

4) If a magazine repeatedly reviews c--p in glowing terms, it will soon be obvious to everyone and they will be slammed here and in other forums and no one will buy the magazine.

5) It follows kit found to be rubbish will be politely returned, perhaps with a note as to why a review isn't being published.

These strictures apply to magazines online reviewers who don't take adverts, just as much, perhaps more. They have to borrow kit as well, for review and a manufacturer will be doubly suspicious when they know a big advertising spend, doesn't give them a hold over the magazine. This isn't my opinion, but what has been expressed to me, by a number of reviewers in sources which do and do not take adverts.

It follows, I believe, that magazine reviews can be relied on, with qualifications, as much as any other source of information. That is as a guide in making a short list of gear to be auditioned myself.

It would appear that the role of the reviewer is as tricky as it ever was.

Either you blatantly lie and shill on the behalf of familiar dealers and manufacturers to curry favour or you risk being outcast into the wilderness.

Treading the middle ground between seller and buyer seems to be as difficult as it ever was.

The approach adopted by the likes of ASR bypasses these issues but only because of the goodwill of the members who freely send in products to be reviewed by Amir.

Just a few days ago I watched a YouTube video by the cheapaudioman in which he describes what sometimes happens if he gives a bad review.

I checked back today in the community section and found the livestream video had now been made private.

I'm guessing that someone at iFi audio wasn't too pleased with the video...