How important are speaker cables to the sound emanating from the speakers?

Hello. I was just wondering what your opinion is about the importance of speaker cables to the sound coming out of the speakers, and, of course, the sound the system altogether produces? Also, what are your favorite speaker cables to use in your system?
warmglowingtubesart
Speaker cables can be very important, and many do sound  different from each other. Modest priced cables that I like include Discovery Essential and Kimber 8TC. Both will hold their value if you decide to sell. There are some great deals now on the Transparent MM2 series now that the Gen 5 series is out.
I have found that speaker cables make a bigger up grade to the sound, more than changing  interconnects of the same level

Warmglow - another factor in speaker cable choice...

• speaker cables having a high capacitance, can cause "SOME" solid state amps to oscillate resulting in poor performance and in the most severe cases resulting in internal damage.
  • For those amps - a capacitance below 35-40pF/meter is a really safe choice

A friend had to repair two very expensive amps that got "fried" just because of his very expensive Cardas speaker cables - OUCH!

My favourite cables?...

• KLE Innovations gZero2 on my A/V system
  • KLE Innovations gZero6 on my 2 channel system
  • Van den Hul CS-122 and D352 prior to the gZero's 

I've found the gZero6's to offer the best performance to date, having...

• the deepest and most controlled bass performance
  • outstanding clarity
  • extremely fast dynamic performance
  • most expansive 3D and holographic image

Regards...

IMO if your system isn't capable of resolving the tiniest differences it is unlikely you will hear any difference in cables below a certain price point although copper & silver/silver over copper comparisons may yield results.Of all the cables I have tried(several Audioquest mid level,Nordost entry level,Signal & Marrow)The Zero Crystal Copper Zen Acoustics got my $.
Freediver, I will politely disagree with your conclusion regarding the nature of components and benefit of cables. I have built many systems in the $2-5K range, and every one has been as sensitive to cable changes as the "big boy" rigs. No, you cannot expect precisely the same result as with better systems, but the cables do effect significantly - by that I mean easily heard and repeatable changes - even modest systems. 

Two incidents to consider. The first system I tried to test cabling on was what would be a solid MidFi rig. It was nowhere in sight performance wise to what I can build now. My first cable test was some extremely thick cables purchased from a home improvement store, with such gauge that when I twisted all the individual conductors together I could barely fit them into the posts of the amp! Instantly I heard the difference between it and lamp cord, and I knew at that moment the wires are critical. That was a revelation which occurred on a system with compromised performance and with very average cable, but with large AWG.

My second "I don't believe it," moment occurred a few years ago when I had a boom box which took a C7 plug. I had just upgraded my power cord for Sonos to an aftermarket one, an Audioquest. I wondered if the difference in a power cord to a boom box could be heard. I knew enough not to discount the possibility altogether. Yup, it did make the boom box sound different, another evidence that cables matter no matter what the electronics.  :)